Chapter Fourteen

Draco took a deep breath as he stepped outside of the aquarium. Potter had made a hurried excuse and left halfway through the last exhibit. Draco had felt relieved, for the most part. It gave him some distance from the look Potter had given him in front of the jellyfish. He ignored the faint sense of disappointment in the back of his mind.

It had been a while since Draco had visited central London. He wasn't a fan of crowds in general, and crowds full of obnoxious tourists were the worst combination of two exceptionally shitty things. He followed the pathway along the river next to the aquarium, glancing between the river and the massive Eye of London, the small carriages seeming so precarious and small. Draco wasn't afraid of heights, he had flown much higher than that, but he felt like he might find those little capsules unnerving.

A raven flew down, landed on the river wall and croaked at him. Draco hesitated and then saw that the bird had something tied to one leg. As he approached, the bird leaned down, untied the string from its own leg and took off before he reached it.

Draco picked up the little bundle, a piece of lined yellow notepaper wrapped around a plastic baggy. Inside the bag was the little metal pull tab from the top of a can of fizzy drink.

Draco didn't recognize the handwriting.

Do you want to hang out?

It was signed, Jasmine.

Added onto the bottom Jasmine had written, I sent a portkey in the bag, so don't throw it out. There was a gap and then added to that, like an additional afterthought, it comes to my Mum's house, nowhere sketch.

Draco's brow furrowed in confusion. He looked at the plastic bag, turning it over in his hand. He didn't know why Jasmine would want to see him, but he was intrigued enough to find out.

Draco stopped by Samuel's flat first, leaving a snarky note on his door to let him know Draco had survived the aquarium. Then he went back to the wheely bins and opened the plastic bag, grabbing the tiny piece of metal inside.

The pull of magic was surprisingly smooth, a gliding twist through space that dropped him lightly in the scrubby back garden of a small two-story house. It was painted a pale yellow that was in need of a refresh, built tight to its neighbouring houses.

"what the fuck?" Draco said under his breath, wondering where he even was.

The door opened, and there was Jasmine, wearing loose black joggers and a bright yellow tank top.

"You showed," Jasmine said, sounding surprised.

"You did ask me to come," Draco said, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, but I didn't think you'd actually show," Jasmine said, "We didn't exactly get off on the right foot."

"Then why-?" Draco asked.

Jasmine rolled her eyes, "Who else was I going to ask? The doc is obnoxious-"

Draco frowned faintly.

"-yeah, fine, you can like her if you want. And the other two are-" Jasmine's brown furrowed, "...They weren't there; they don't get it."

Draco raised an eyebrow. "I thought I was, what did you call me, one of the hitler youth?"

"That was-," Jasmine sighed, crossing her arms over her chest, "-look, I didn't understand all the facts, did I? From what I saw at school, you seemed all in on the pure-blood shite."

"Yes, well, I reserved my crying for the second-floor girl's bathroom," Draco said flatly.

Jasmine snorted in amusement.