Chapter Sixteen

Luckily, Draco remembered where the group meeting room was in St Mungo's because he was definitely, certainly late by the time he arrived. He did his best to hide his wince as he stepped into the room and everyone turned to look at him.

"Hello, Draco!" Iris said brightly.

Jarold looked annoyed.

Jasmine laughed, "Took your time, didn't you?"

"Sorry, I'm late," Draco said. He gave Jasmine a brief glare and sat down in the empty chair between Emad and Jarold.

"We were just about to get started," Iris said. "I made coffee if you want some."

The glass carafe of the muggle coffee maker was half full of liquid so dark it looked black. Iris and Jarold were the only ones holding green plastic mugs; Iris had drunk some of hers; Jarold's mug was untouched.

"I'm more of a..." Draco thought quickly, "Milk and sugar with a little bit of coffee than a coffee with a bit of milk and sugar, sort of person."

Iris sighed dramatically, "Oh, you're one of those sorts. Sometime I will introduce you to a really good cup of coffee. Then you'll know what you're missing."

Draco raised an eyebrow, "Ah. So you're one of those coffee people."

Iris gave him a glare that held absolutely no venom.

"I'll take a coke, personally. Or an energy drink," Jasmine said.

"Does it do anything?" Draco asked.

Jasmine snorted, "They're the only reason I'm not half-asleep right now."

"How are you sleeping now, Jasmine?" Iris asked.

Jasmine slouched down in her chair, "I do it sometimes."

"That sounds like an improvement. You were struggling to get any sleep after your detox, weren't you?"

"Yeah," Jasmine said, "But it's not the same."

"Sleep is sleep, init?" Jarold said.

"No," Jasmine said.

Jarold made a confused face.

Jasmine sighed hugely like Jarold was an idiot for even asking, "I'm not talking about sleep -sleep. It's like... you know, when you just wake up and you just lay in bed, kind of asleep and not asleep at the same time? And your head just feels so..." She spread her hands, fingers grasping after the words that never came, "...good."

"I get a headache if I sleep too long," Emad said.

"That's where the potions came in-"

"Jasmine, let's not," Iris said.

"What? Are you afraid I'll rub off on them?" Jasmine asked.

"I'd rather you didn't glorify your addiction. It may have provided you relief to the pain you were feeling, but it was temporary and fleeting, and none of it would have helped you in the long run," Iris said.

"No kidding," Jasmine said flatly, "I think the self-induced potion coma was a bit of a clue."

"I almost got kicked off the team," Jarold said.

Emad nodded silently.

Draco didn't say anything. And his silence seemed to pull everyone's gaze.

"What?" Draco asked.

"Didn't drinking ruin your life?" Jasmine asked.

Draco shrugged, "It wasn't that bad."

Jasmine glared at him.