Chapter Four

Draco woke up to the sort of shrill scream that only children are capable of. Another child shouted loudly and was a following peel of laughter. A far more tired woman's voice said something in a chiding tone but was completely ignored.

Draco forced himself to unclench his muscles with a sigh.

"I said it was gonna get loud," Elle said, her voice sleep rough from the other bed.

Draco groaned dramatically.

Elle laughed faintly, "I didn't say it was a good thing."

Draco sat up and did his best not to feel out of place, uncomfortable with invading Elle's small space, but it was mostly a lost cause.

He made tea and toast for the both of them, though Elle hardly touched hers. She had a migraine. It had started the night before and would likely persist through the day and possibly into the next. Elle said that the longest migraine she'd ever had lasted nearly two weeks. The medications her doctors prescribed helped a little, but nothing seemed to give her any lasting relief.

Draco mixed some vodka with cranberry juice and headed outside, leaving Elle to rest in a dark room.

Two small children streaked by him, nearly knocking him off his feet.

"Aleena, Darain! Watch where you're going! Be careful!" Naja shouted. She rushed over to him, "Are you alright- what was your name again? I'm sorry, I'm terrible with names."

"Draco. And I'm fine. Just a bit surprised is all," Draco said.

Naja shook her head, "I'm sorry-"

"It's fine," Draco said.

Naja spared him a grateful smile before going back to watching her kids race around the upper balconies, occasionally shouting, their voices echoing around the empty concrete courtyard like a bell.

Her hijab was a bright buttery yellow that looked amazing against her brown skin. She was looking ruffled and tired from chasing after her kids.

"You hijab is a little loose," Draco said, looking away and tapping the side of his head where her hair had started to slip out.

"Sorry, I'll fix that- thank you," Naja said, quickly reaching up to readjust the bright yellow fabric.

"You apologise too much," Draco said, taking a drink out of his bottle.

"Oh!" Naja jumped and then laughed, "I know. I try not to, but I can't seem to shake the habit. My mum does it too; I probably picked it up from her."

She frowned and leaned forward, "Darain! Stay off the railing!"

"OH-KAY," Darain called across the way.

"I really envy my younger sister," Naja said, looking back over at Draco. "She never apologises for anything. She just does whatever she wants. I mean, it's frustrating too, but I wish I could be more like that, you know?"

Draco shrugged his shoulders, "I'm an only child."

"Oh, I'm sorry-"

"For what?" Draco smiled faintly.

Naja laughed at herself. "I can't imagine growing up without my sister. I would have been so lonely."

"Someone was always watching me. Mymother doted on me most of the time, my father watched me occasionally, the... the help the rest of the time," Draco said.

Naja nodded to Aleena and Darain, racing each other down the stairs to the courtyard, "That's why I wanted two, so they would never be lonely."

Darain jumped onto one of the concrete benches and started making up a story. His sister watched him with mild amusement as if she wasn't sure whether to laugh at him or join in.