Chapter Eight

Meredith woke up, she felt someone staring at her as she turned around, her suspicions correct. Derek's smile widened when Meredith's sleepy gaze met his more-awake one.

"Were you watching me sleep, again?" she yawned, she felt something different about herself. She wasn't nauseated like she had woken up like for the past week, she felt scared but held anything back just in case she was just freaking out.

"Just a little, what can I say? You are extremely sexy when you sleep," he smiled, leaning down and placing a kiss on her lips. She rolled her eyes, placing another kiss back on his lips.

"Mm, so since we both have the day off, I was thinking maybe we could take Maddie to the zoo," Derek suggested, placing a single strand of hair behind Meredith's ear.

"With her allergies? No," she shook her head, watching his brows furrow just a bit.

"Right. Maybe the aquarium?" He thought, hoping she would feel up to it.

"Yeah, sounds alright. I need to take a shower," Meredith sighed, sitting up. As she sat up, her stomach seemed to do a flip and she felt it again. She quickly grabbed one of the peppermints from the bedside table.

"Still have morning sickness?" He sighed, he did want to suggest morning sex in the shower but he knew she would turn him down. He sat up from the bed and grabbed his clothes for the day, putting them on rather quickly.

"Yes Derek, I am only 7 weeks. Can you get Maddie up and fix her breakfast while I shower real quick?" She said, standing up, he nodded. Her old, hole-filled Dartmouth t-shirt hung over her shoulders as she shuffled to the bathroom. She saw the light bags under her eyes in the mirror. She felt like she could sleep forever if someone would let her.

She turned the knob, letting the water fall from the shower head. She pulled off her clothes before stepping into the shower, letting the warm water fall over her head. She was thankful for the morning nausea, it showed she still was carrying the sac of cells in her uterus.

...

"Morning sunshine," Derek said, opening the curtains in his daughter's bedroom.

"No," she whined, pulling the blankets over her head.

"Yes baby girl, we have a big day ahead of us," Derek said as he grabbed one of the pre-made outfits Meredith does and laid it on the chair next to the wardrobe.

"Why?" She groaned from under the blankets. Derek just shook his head, she was definitely like her mother.

"Because, we are going to the aquarium so put on the clothes I laid out so we can get going," he said, pulling the blankets away from her. She sat up and pouted, looking up at him.

"Daddy, it's too early," she whined, climbing out of the bed. Her thick curls a complete mess as she shuffled slowly to the light blue shirt with a coral flower on it and white leggings.

"I know sweet pea," Derek laughed before he went back downstairs, searching through the pantry for something to cook. He grabbed the box of muesli for himself and Cheerios for Maddie and poured her a small bowl, adding almond milk. He started the coffee before fixing his muesli and sitting down at the breakfast bar.

To Derek's surprise, Amelia comes down the stairs, completely dressed and ready for something.

"Amy," he looked up at his sister questionably.

"I have a job interview," she said, grabbing two pieces of wheat bread, placing them into the toaster.

"Where?" He questioned, knowing it was either at SGMW or Seattle Pres.