Chapter 16

The next morning, after the party ponies headed back to Florida, Chiron made a surprise announcement: the chariot races would go ahead as scheduled. I didn't know what those were so I assumed I would sit on the side lines.

 Tyson wasn't too keen on the idea of getting back in a chariot. Chiron told me I could team up with someone but I felt I should just hand out with Annabeth, Percy, and Tyson and see how it goes. Percy would drive their chariot, Annabeth would defend, and Tyson would act as their pit crew. While Percy worked with the horses, Tyson fixed up Athena's chariot and added a whole bunch of special modifications. I mainly hung out with Annabeth who was working on the design of the chariot.

They spent the next two days training like crazy. Annabeth and Percy agreed that if they won, the prize of no chores for the rest of the month would be split between our two cabins. Since Athena had more campers, they would get most of the time off, which was fine by Percy (This was my idea of the chore splitting). You could tell Percy just wanted to win. 

The next morning, everybody was buzzing about the chariot race, though they kept glancing nervously toward the sky. It was a beautiful summer day with blue sky and plenty of sunshine. The camp had started to look the way a camp should look: the meadows were green and lush; the white columns gleamed on the Greek buildings; dryads played happily in the woods. I was excited since I really wanted Annabeth and Percy to win. They were sure to especially with the add ons Tyson added.

The carriage gleamed with bronze reinforcements. The wheels were realigned with magical suspension so we glided along with hardly a bump. The rigging for the horses was so perfectly balanced that the team turned at the slightest tug of the reins.

Though when Annabeth and I saw Percy walking out we noticed something.

"What's up with him?" Annabeth said directing her head to Percy walking strangely out of his cabin. 

I shrugged my shoulders. We both decided to leave it alone. If he was mad it was better to not pry. 

Chiron was at the starting line, ready to blow the conch.

Tyson and I hung back watching the race. 

Percy climbed on board the chariot and got into position just as Chiron blew the starting signal.

There wasn't much to see or describe since it all happened so fast. I tried to keep my eyes on Percy and Annabeth's chariot but they went to far into the woods and past my range of sight. Tyson stayed and half sat so excited about this. Every time something happened he made a little:

"Yay!"

I couldn't help but smile.

A few times you could see campers walk out of their crashed chariot's. One time the Apollo chariot almost crashed into the audience, their faces were filled with disappointment. 

Annabeth and Percy came racing past the finish line for their last lap. When they passed Tyson stood up and yelled:

"HURAY" 

Annabeth brought their chariot through and spurred the horses across the finish line. The crowd roared. 

Once the chariot stopped, their friends mobbed them. They started chanting Percy and Annabeth's name, but Annabeth yelled over the noise: "Hold up! Listen! It wasn't just us!"

The crowd didn't want to be quiet, but Annabeth made herself heard: "We couldn't have done it without somebody else! We couldn't have won this race or gotten the Fleece or saved Grover or anything! We owe our lives to Tyson, Percy's ..."

"Brother!" Percy said, loud enough for everybody to hear. "Tyson, my baby brother. "

Tyson blushed. I smiled at the cutest of Percy and Tyson's bond.