Chapter 22: Poison Words

I went back to my room, screwing around on my data tablet, looking for any leads connecting to the name Sprouse. The system kept rejecting me, even under a false code. I sighed, this is why I needed Layla.

And then my phone started vibrating.

I kinda didn't want to pull Andrew into this, especially after the abruptness of the divorce. I had been a different person then, rebuilding my self after my.......episode as it could be called. And it's not like I ever-

"Serenity, two years and no contact, then out of the blue you ask me a favor. Smooth."

His words rolled off his tongue, and I could instantly see his face. Dark jade eyes, somewhat tussled dirty blond hair, a small laugh that was so annoying. I laid on my back, holding my phone to my right ear.

I bite my lip, truly the wishing this conversation didn't have to happen,"I need some help."

And he chuckled his little laugh. So genuine. It felt like someone had staked me in the gut.

Before you get the wrong idea, I'll explain.

When I was around twenty one, I was sent to recover information about a possible 'doomsday device'. Theory was that Andrew Dane was in possession of it. Of course I went undercover as Serenity Fraser, the new hard-working personal assistant to Dane Global, and organized files and got coffee for my boss, who just happened to be Andrew.

As I gathered intel, I learned Dane's partner, Edward Valdez, had been going behind Andrew's back, stealing the company's money, and was building the device to sell to some Soviets.

My job as a personal assistant didn't give me enough leverage to do really anything, but my luck was good. Andrew had a little crush on me. Actually big. After five months of working with him, he proposed. I was his seventh -no eighth- wife. I offered eloping, and Ta da! I was able to expose Valdez, secure the device, and kill a few Communists thanks to my status and access to certain secrets people usually wouldn't tell the 'coffee girl'.

As for me and Andrew, was able to tick him off so much that we didn't even make it to the honeymoon, which was postponed several times before the divorce papers were filed.

I sometimes go back in my mind, and wonder if I had just stayed with Andrew, quit SHIELD. I always think, what if I could have loved him? What would my life be like? It was more out of curiosity than actual feelings that made me imagine these things, but it was always the what if.

But I was young and naive, such a different person. I was looking for recovery and validation after a terrible time. And with these propositions, I'm glad I'm still a Firman.

And that's the story of my ex-hubbie.

He's had two other wives since me, each models. Both divorced now.

"What does my Serene want?" He chuckled, the name familiar. My stage pet name.

I blow out a breath,"Someone I need to talk to is currently unavailable. Your in the neighborhood."

"Still your delivery boy?"

I gently smile,"Yeah, just do it. Please?"

"What do I get out of it?" I can see his smirk.

I think in my head," Free coffee?"

"Really?"

"Fine, the satisfaction of helping me?"

"Nope. Try something else Fraser."

Now this is getting annoying,"The Skittle incident not being told to the world? With no high quality pictures released?"