Chapter 26: Let's Raise A Little Hell

The door wouldn't open, and my shoulder was burning. I look back over at my sister's lifeless body before turning my face to the wall, pressing my ear up to it. I heard running footsteps.

Zerina left me. I huff, frustrated. I sit with my back against the wall, analyzing my scenario. I completely boxed in, no other doors. But then again, I only looked once.

First, I holster my pistol and grab the knife that Nya dropped earlier. I am able to look away from her body as I make my way around the room. I pass my hands over the walls, looking for ways out.

Memories if my mother kept trying to play in my head, and I kept pushing them out.

The gun

The body

The blood

Me

I grip my temples, forcing myself to think of something else. What better then my job.

Nya knew things not open to the public, only SHIELD. Natasha's past, Clint's situation, even Steve's growing PTSD. This girl knew way to much information.

Her employers came from high up, and were able to stay off the grid, assuming they were hiding or even on SHIELD's list. This meant only one thing: Someone very powerful in SHIELD was compromised.

I let out a breath, not happy with the conclusion. As I let oxygen out, I noticed I seemed to hiss. I held still, but the sound continued.

I looked up, I noticed the vents, as well as the white gas seeping through it. I immediately covered my mouth and nose with my shirt, keeping air in my lungs.

The room started to fog up with the gas as I held my breath. My record was seven minutes. I needed to expand that range, and with limited time. So I took in one breath to taste the gas.

Knockout gas. Pathetic.

I sighed with relief, glad it wasn't MB or anything lethal. But one fact remained, I wasn't alone. If somebody pressed a button to have me unconscious, they wanted me for something.

I immediately knew someone was filming this, so I began to cough and sputter, letting the gas in but only small amounts. I let myself fall to the floor as my head got even more groggy, and my eyes threatened to shut.

I kept them open, focusing on slowing my heartbeat. I couldn't breathe to much, so I tried to think of peaceful things. Kittens, ponds, bamboo, my motorcycle.....

Wait, what if Nya did something to Renée.......this wasn't slowing my heart rate.

But the ticks were getting fainter. The gas was taking effect. My eyelids became heavy as I felt more and more sleepy. Now my thoughts were jumbled and tired. I was so tired.

My eyes fell shut, lying barely conscious on the floor, feet away from my dead sister. The room became thicker and thicker until it resembled smoke.

I was like this for twenty minutes, fighting to stay awake, measuring my breaths while trying to appear unconscious. The gas continued to build, until I couldn't see anything but white.

But I realized that slowly the gas receded, dissipating into nothingness. I still remained motionless. I was now barely awake, my breaths very very slow. Everything started to blur, but I forced myself to stay awake. I had to.

Finally, the gas completely left this room, and I heard a door open. Two heavy footsteps approached me. Combat boots, full tactical gear on.

I let my eyes fully close as one man bent down and checked my pulse. His warm fingers pressed against my cold skin, and I knew he had been running.