Chapter 1

****Events of Defending Jacob never happened****
****Jacob is a normal junior in high school who is not completely oblivious to his parents marital troubles****
****Especially after he meets his new English teacher****

✨✨✨

"Yes. Derrick we're here and we're fine." Elizabeth sighed as she tried to open the door to her new house while on the phone with her ex-husband. Her 16 year old daughter Arwen grabbed her keys from her, opening the door. "I have to go Derrick."

'Yeah. Okay. Can I come next weekend to see the kids?'

"Of course you can. Call me." She hung up the phone, sliding it into her pocket as she watched her 10 year old Jasper brushing past her into the house. "Thanks Arwen, for opening the door. You know how your dad worries."

Arwen nodded, "sure mom. I'm gonna go unpack my room."

Elizabeth nodded, watching her walk up to her room as she sighed. She plopped onto the couch in the living room, looking around the living room. She had just moved from New York to Boston, accepting a new job at Newton High School teaching English.

"Mom. I'm hungry."

Elizabeth looked up at Jasper, "yeah okay. I saw a diner a couple streets over. Let me go get Arwen." She saw Jasper nod as he went back to looking at his phone. She went up to Arwen's room, knocking on the door to find her on her bed, scrolling through her phone. "Are you hungry? I was going to take Jasper to the diner for dinner."

Arwen shrugged, "not really. Can I just stay here?"

Elizabeth nodded, "yeah. Of course. Want anything?"

"Um.. pie?"

Elizabeth laughed at her grin, "sure love." She went back downstairs to Jasper, "come on. Your sister is staying here." She drove the few blocks to the diner, sitting with Jasper in a corner booth as a waitress came up to them. "Hey. I'll just have a water."

Jasper smiled, "sprite please."

The waitress nodded, "sure. My name is Nora. I'll be right back." She set two menus on the table before walking away.

Elizabeth looked at Jasper reading the menu, "so how do you like Boston so far?"

Jasper shrugged, "I miss New York."

She sighed, "do you miss New York or do you miss dad?"

Jasper looked down at the table, "I miss dad."

"I know you do." She looked up at the waitress as she set down their drinks. She handed over her menu, "I'll just have a burger and fries please."

Jasper nodded, "same. Thanks."

Elizabeth turned back to Jasper after Nora walked away. She placed her hand on his, "I'm sorry bud. He said he'll be here this next weekend. I promise you're going to see him often."

Jasper nodded, "yeah. Okay."

She sighed, "I have to go to the bathroom. I'll be right back." She went into the bathroom, washing her hands before exiting. As she started to walk back to her booth, she saw a family of three enter the diner, stopping as she saw the father turn to face her.

Andy walked into the diner with Laurie and Jacob, turning to come face to face with familiar blue eyes as he felt his heart begin to race. It had been so long since he had seen her, but he knew those eyes anywhere. She was Lizzie, his Lizzie.

Elizabeth looked at the ground before looking back up at Andy, forgetting what it felt like to look into his eyes, it had been so long. She decided not to say anything, rushing away before he could say anything, sitting back next to Jasper as their food arrived.

Jasper looked at Andy, "do you know him?"

Elizabeth sighed, "yeah. I went to high school with him. I had no idea he lived here." It wasn't a complete lie, they had gone to school together. She just didn't feel like going into the whole story. She looked up to see Andy watching her as he sat with his own family on the other side of the diner.

"Do you know her?"

Andy looked back at Laurie as she motioned to Elizabeth. "Um... yeah. I went to high school with her."

Laurie set her menu down, "oh. Do you want to go talk to her?"

Andy sighed, looking at the table, "no. I don't think she remembers me. That was a long time ago." He looked back at Elizabeth as she ate dinner with he could only assume was her son. He made sure to note that she wasn't wearing a ring. Once she was finished eating, he watched her walk up to the counter, looking at the pies.

Elizabeth sighed as she felt Andy come up behind her, "please don't."

He hesitated, "I um . . I was just going to suggest the cherry pie. It's the best here."

She nodded, looking up at him, "thanks." She saw him hovering, not wanting to walk away, "go back to your family Andy." She ignored him as she looked back at the counter, ordering cherry pie. She walked back to Jasper, motioning for him to follow. She took one more look at Andy to see him watching her before she left the diner with Jasper.

Once they were home she took the pie to Arwen in her room, "here you go love. I've been told it's the best."

Arwen grinned, "thank you mama!"

Elizabeth laughed, "you're welcome. Don't make a mess. Tomorrow we'll go shopping for school clothes?"

Arwen nodded, "sure. Thanks mama. Daddy coming down here this weekend?"

Elizabeth sighed, "he is. Yes."

She hesitated, "will he... stay here?"

Elizabeth shrugged, "I might let him stay in the guest room. Arwen love, I love your dad but it just didn't work out. And it isn't going to."

She nodded, "I know. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry. I know this is a lot of change in a short amount of time. The divorce, the moving to a new city and school. I'm the one that should be sorry." She sighed as she sat on the bed next to her daughter.

Arwen nodded, resting her head on Elizabeth's shoulder, "it's okay mom. It's going to be good, moving here."

Elizabeth groaned, "I hope so. But now I'm not so sure."

Arwen looked up at her, "what do you mean?"

Elizabeth shook her head, "no. Nothing. It's fine. I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning." Elizabeth got undressed before laying down, staring at the ceiling, thinking about Andy. Her heart began to ache knowing she was now so close to him. She knew it was pointless, he had already chosen Laurie over her once before. There was nothing stopping him from doing it again.