Cₕₐₚₜₑᵣ ₜwₒ: ₗₑₜ ₘₑ gₒ bₐcₖ ₜₒ ₛₗₑₑₚ, ₚₗₑₐₛₑ

The abrupt buzzing of her alarm clock made Pigeon nearly jump out of her bed and onto the floor.

She groaned, wanting to go back to sleep. But, of course, she couldn't, since Quackity would have words with her if she didn't get up then.

Pigeon looked down to see her cat, Milo, a lanky neon orange tabby cat with hazel eyes and plenty of sass, sitting on her pile of dirty laundry. Milo yawned, unimpressed with Pigeon's inability to get out of bed at 10:30 in the morning.

"Oh, you keep your sassiness to yourself, Milo. Why don't you do the laundry today? I'm sure you'd be a great help, if you could even get the laundry out of the hotel rooms, my guy."

Milo did not like this very much, but he chose to ignore it because, well, his ego was more important to him. Of course.

Pigeon tried to smile a bit at Milo's behavior, but she knew this wasn't something she should teach her cat to do consistently. Plus, she was running late to her job. Now that would anger Quackity greatly if she were another minute late to work, especially now that she was an adult.

She stood up and walked over to her closet, already sighing as though she were out of energy. But she wasn't. Not yet. As she flicked the light on, she started to hum one of her favorite songs that she had written, as she was forbidden from listening to any music that wasn't played in the casino, or that she made. Pigeon had forgotten the words a long while ago, but the tune was still engraved into her brain, so deep that she'd never be able to forget. She had already memorized every song she was allowed to listen to. The tunes to them, at least. She knew very few lyrics to those songs.

Pigeon pulled out a faded rainbow shirt from the back of her closet. She had tie-dyed it back when she was seven. When life was still calm.

When life was still enjoyable.

She also grabbed a pair of faded jeans with a few rips in them. A few rips she helped make back when she was first starting out as a hotel room cleaner.

After she got dressed, she walked over to her dresser, where Milo was admiring his reflection in vain. Pigeon grabbed a comb and tried to brush her already messy brown hair, but it refused to stay straight. She grabbed a hair tie and put her hair back into a messy bun.

She looked at her watch. It blared 10:45 AM proudly.

Fuck, am I really that late? Pigeon thought, a bit panicked.

She sprinted to the door to the hallway. She put her tan sneakers on her bare feet, not caring to put socks on. Who has time for socks, anyways?

Pigeon grabbed her keys, grabbed her jacket, and walked into the hallway to find Big Q standing outside her door, clearly pissed.

Oh shit. I'm in trouble now.