Cries and Shocks

Taylor's P.O.V

Crying woke me dead from my sleep at 4.16am. My first thought was Ellie, but I heard no crying through the baby monitor. I decided to get up anyway just to make sure that everything was okay in the house, walking down the hallway to the nursery I came across Ellie sound asleep. Smiling I turned her mobile on again. Leaving the room I heard the crying again. Walking quickly back to the bedroom I shook Ed awake. "Ed, wake up..." he groaned as he rolled over. "What Tay, it's..." he glanced at the clock nearby, "...it's four am. Come back to bed." I turned on the side light and he woke up a little more. "I can't Ed, I can hear crying and it's not Ellie." I watched his face change to one of tiredness to one of being totally alert. "Where do you think it's coming from babe?" he questions me as he clambers out of bed to be next to me. I turn and look around unsure of where it could come from. It could easily be a neighbour's child since we live in the suburbs but I doubt that, our property is pretty big and the closest neighbours are a good two hundred metres away and the cry sounded very close. "I really don't know Ed, should we look around downstairs?" I ask in a slightly frightened voice. He nods and says, "Yeah I think so Tay," I breathe in as he takes my hand and leads us downstairs. Flipping on lights as we go I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. "I'm going to the kitchen, dining room and I'll stick my head outside the backdoor and glance over the backyard. Okay? You want to do the lounge and carefully stick your beautiful face outside the front door, looking for anything suspicious." I nod quickly as he disappears and I wander through the lounge, seeing nothing out of place I sigh and move towards the front door as Ed states he's going out the back. Opening the front door I see nothing out of the ordinary until I look down.

Ed's P.O.V

The backyard is slightly scary this time of the morning, with the pool looking cold as ice since it was the tail end of Winter and moving into Spring, I passed the BBQ area that we used once since we have been here and it was just for Austin and I to try to cook on, needless to say it failed and my wife then bragged about her cooking to which I totally agreed with, she is the best cook in the world. All of a sudden I hear her voice calling for me, thinking she found the noise I follow her. I look in the kitchen and see nothing so I go to her area and notice the front door open and a few strands of blonde hair bent downwards. So I moved forward, "Yeah Tay I'm here. What's up?" I ask as I stop beside her she takes an intake of breath before standing with something in her arms. I gasp in shock horror before clarifying where she picked it up from. Knowing that our property was secure I was relieved until she turned and all I could see was a set of blue eyes greeting me with a paler set of blue eyes and I realised a child had been dropped on our lawn.

Taylor's P.O.V

I opened the door not expecting anything and really I was beginning to wonder if I had been imagining it since Ellie didn't cry an awful lot. She was usually pretty settled and slept pretty well. Opening the front door I was smiling at my silliness until I looked down and a set of pale blue eyes met mine. "Oh my gosh," I quickly bent down whilst calling for Ed behind me. Pulling the thin ratty blanket aside I noticed a bright red nose from the cold Nashville night and all the baby was wearing was a black onesie. I didn't know anything, gender, age or even what it was doing on our doorstep. "Yeah Tay I'm here. What's up?" Ed called from behind me as I picked up the baby that was resting in a ratty car seat. Turning to face him I said, "I found the noise..." His face lit up in shock. However because of who Ed is he simply pulled me backwards into the house and into his arms, I felt them encase me as I looked at him. He looked down at the baby in my arms and said, "What do we do?" I looked down too and said in a soft voice, "Well we could keep it?" Ed's face changed and he smiled at me, "I knew it Mrs Sheeran you ole softie." I felt my cheeks go red as I blushed under his comment. "Well we want an army of kids anyway. So what does it matter where they come from? It's not like we aren't financially stable." I state as I began to walk into the house further stopping in the lounge. Ed scratched the back of his head and nodded like he agreed. "Okay babe, you win we will keep her...or him?" he questioned as I raised my shoulder to say, 'I don't know.' I carefully walked to the changing area we had set up downstairs for Ellie and began to undress the baby. The black onesie was thinner than I had originally thought as I lifted it off the baby gently. Ed was right there helping, he had actually rushed off somewhere and I didn't exactly know where until he appeared from the kitchen with wet arms, "I was putting water in the baby bath," he stated proudly as I smiled back at him. Considering it was now 5:01am we were in reasonable spirits. I turned back to remove the thin singlet and diaper and when I did remove the singlet I just went "Oh god. Ed? Come here now." Ed rushed over as I showed him the baby's stomach. A huge welt was spread across and it was starting to darken. "I'll grab Ellie and meet you in the car," he states quickly. I nod at him and ask for him to bring a blanket from Ellie's cupboard for the baby. He replies with a yes as I grab Ed's nearby hoodie and throw it over my head, I hastily re-dress the baby in the singlet deciding that the onesie is neither use nor ornament and start for the garage. Locking the baby into the car seat it came with I wait patiently for Ed to emerge with Ellie. He finally arrives supporting Ellie and holding two blankets. Ellie's cat one and a green and blue striped one that I had brought for Ellie but she didn't use it.