three

Today in English, Ashton talked to Aurora.

He didn't say much. Actually, he didn't say anything at all. "Hey," he had said, "Can I borrow a pencil?"

Aurora let him borrow a pencil so she could stare at him without seeming creepy. She liked his big eyes and fluffy hair.

At the end of class, Ashton came over to Aurora and invited her over to study. He said he was having trouble understanding Animal Farm and had noticed how good Aurora did on the quiz. Aurora adored that book almost more than she adored Ashton.

She said yes while trying to steady herself. She was wobbling like loose chair legs and not breathing properly. She had to remind herself that she needed oxygen.

That night, she forgot about all her homework. As soon as she got home, she spent four hours trying to put together the perfect outfit and execute her eyeliner. She wasted at least half her eyeliner tube, but that was okay.

When her mom asked her where she was going, she said a friend's house. She didn't want her mom to know about this beautiful boy. What if she stole him from Aurora?

She wore a dress that night. Aurora hated dresses. She thought they were itchy and uncomfortable.

But she wanted to look beautiful for him.