6/19/92

6/19/92

Sam and Deena have been dating for a few months, but it was still private among their group of friends group. Sam wasn't scared of people knowing about her and Deena, she was scared of her mother knowing about them.

"Okay, well can we atleast go as a group?" Simon looks over at Kate, Deena, and Sam. Sam looks down at her lap, feeling guilty that she can't be seen with Deena, smiling. In Deena's arms, seeing Deena's smile, feeling loved and appreciated.

"Yeah, of course." Kate sighs then takes her notebook from the table. "Gotta get to class, Simon you coming?" Kate stands up. Simon follows her lead.

"I'm so sorry D, I really am." Sam takes Deena's hand from under the table and squeezes it tight, Deena shakes her head at the ground and stands up. She doesn't take Sam's hand back.

A chill strikes Sam as she watches the women she loves most walk away from her, and because of Sam. Because of how pathetic Sam is to herself.

"Jeez, what was that all about?" Sasha, Sam's cheer friend, goes to sit next to her. Sam looks at the girl, who is laughing at Deena walking away. Sam doesn't respond, but goes after Deena as Deena runs out the door.

"Deena, Deena!" Sam walks out of the cafeteria but can't see Deena.

"Ms. Fraser, are you okay?" Sam's teacher, Mr. Scott, walks out of his room and says, but Sam doesn't respond.

Sam looks down the hall, left and right. She runs towards her locker, where Deena's is too, but can't find Deena. However, she finds Deena's open locker.

Sam looks inside, and smiles as she sees a polaroid of her, Josh, Kate, Simon, and Deena taped to the wall. She also smiles at the little notes that she has written Deena that are in the corner of Deena's locker. She then sees a crumpled up piece of paper on the other side, basically ripped in half.

The piece of paper is blue, and Sam immediately knows what it is.

The Homecoming.

She then sees a post it note scraped up on the other side of the paper, sticking to it.

'Dear Sam,

We can do it'

D

Sam sighs as she sees the note. She can't believe that she would say no to Deena. All Deena wants is to be able to hold Sam, to be with her without having to hide.

Josh walks by next to Abby, and they see Sam slumped against Deena's locker reading a note. "Hey Sam, did you by any chance see Josh's wallet in Deena's locker? Deena just left so -" Abby gets cut off by Sam.

"Deena left?" Sam stutters.

"Yeah, she said to look in her locker before she started biking home."

"Shit." Sam couldn't believe what she was hearing. Did she make Deena leave? Thoughts flooded her mind. Does Deena hate me now? Is Deena gonna break up with me? Is Deena mad at me? Sam took a deep breath. "Abby, I'm using your bike." Sam didn't close Deena's locker or pick her back pack up from the lunch room, where she left it, she walked to the front door and stormed out of the building. She hopped onto her white bike and started biking in her Shadyside Cheer outfit. Since they were only Freshmen at this time, neither of them had their license.

Balloons were moving back and forth in the Summer breeze and signs about the senior's prom and the freshman's, sophomore's, and juniors dance were everywhere.

Sam pedaled the fastest she ever had. Her knees were shaking and she was taking deep breaths as her throat clenched from the need to take a break, but she kept fighting. She wouldn't let Deena be mad at her. No matter what it took.