7/13/94 & 10/3/91

7/13/94

Once again, Deena was in trouble. And just like last time, it was for something she didn't even do. "I'm telling you it wasn't me! Why would I put paint over something I have to clean!" Deena yelled.

"Don't raise your voice at me!" Eli said as he grabbed a clipboard. "That's two strikes in the first two days of camp! In Fact it hasn't even been two days since yesterday was a half day, it's been a good 24 hours since you guys arrived! This is a record Johnson,"

"My name is Deena,"

"And my name is shut the fuck up," The counsler said. "Well today your off because we don't want you ruining anything else-"

"IT WASN'T FUCKING ME!" Deena said.

"If you raise your voice one more time, that's another strike Johnson." Eli warned her.

Deena clenched her jaw and her lips tightened. She felt her heartbeat increase. How could she be getting in trouble for something she didn't do, and why doesn't Eli even ask other people what they saw?!

Eli started walking back until he saw flashing blue and red lights, "Now we have to send Sam to a fucking hospital, control yourself!"

Deena looked up and saw kids rushing to the front of camp. "What, the hospital!?" Deens screamed as she jumped up from her seat. She ran to the back exit of the mess hall and watched as Sam was brought into the white ambulance.

Everyone was crowding around her. Deena ran and pushed kids out of the way.

"What the fuck d*ke?!" A Sunnyvaler screamed as she pushed him away.

Then she saw her.

Sam.

Her hair was matted and she had a huge bump on her forehead. "Shit," Deena whispered under her breath. She didn't care that anyone was around, she went to the ambulance and jumped into it.

"Deena what are you doing?!" Nurse Lane called.

"I have to go with her, please!" Deena pleaded.

"Deena, you can't!" Nurse Lane took Deena's arm, "Come on, please."

"NO! I need to be with her!" Deena fought. She struck her arm back and saw everyone staring at her. "What are you guys looking at?! Fuck off!"

"I bet she did it!" Geena whispered to her friend. "She's such a psychopath."

"Come on Deena," Kate walked up to Nurse Lane, "Please Deena,"

Deena didn't give in, she tried to get to be with Sam. Sam was lifted up on her bed into the ambulance and the nurses were trying to close the doors.

Deena's face was still covered in dry paint.

"Deena, come on," Josh walked up to her. "Please,"

Josh had tears in his eyes, Simon was next to him. "Deena what's going on?" Josh asked. It was complete deja vu from 3 years ago, when Deena's mom was taken to the hospital for her first chemo.

That's what scared Josh.

10/3/91

Deena had learned about chemo in school.

She didn't really know the effects of it though. She knew patients with cancer would use it and it would get rid of their hair, but that's pretty much the least of it. The only other thing she knew was that it could get you sick.

But how sick? That's what scared her.

Sam was at her mom's house at the time. She still hadn't told her mom anything about how she liked Deena, or how they kissed.