𝕀(𝕕𝕠𝕟'𝕥)𝕨𝕒𝕟𝕥 𝕪𝕠𝕦

"I can't believe that jerk!" Misato yells, slamming her fist onto the cheap plastic tables of the NERV HQ's cafeteria

I took a sip of black coffee from my cat print mug and rolled my eyes over to the vending machine. Another day of listening to Misato rumble about Kaji's wrongdoings. As interesting as it is to listen to the lovebirds' trouble in paradise, I still wish that she wouldn't have yelled so loudly about it.

"He left the country without even leaving a goodbye message. I knew it was a trap when he said he wanted to come over to my place. Ugh! I shouldn't have never given into that silly kiss," she whined.

I shook my head at her. Misato Katsuragi, the poor woman, has soft spots, and her on-and-off boyfriend Ryoji Kaji exploits at every chance he gets. It's annoying, but I can't bring myself to blame him for doing so. Maybe it's because of him.

"That sounds like the same old playboy Kaji to me. It's hard to believe that you two managed to graduate from college," I sigh.

Misato crosses her arms and pouts at me.

"Teasing is an all-time low for you, Ritsuko."

"Then I guess I'm the lowest of the low then."

The purple head was on the verge of tearing off her hair as a little smirk was concealed by the mug covering my lips.

"Next time, I'll be sure to get him back. That ass won't know what hit him."

I look down to the watch on my wrist.

"Well, make sure to give him a mouthful for me," I said as I stood up and made my way to the elevator.

"Wait! Get back here! Lunchtime isn't even over yet."

Misato pulls my shoulder back, forcing me to turn and meet her saddened face.

"I'm sorry dear friend, but duty calls. It's not easy being the head scientist around this place. In the same way, it isn't easy to keep your man on a dog leash. I'm sure you understand Captain Katsuragi."

I press the elevator button and watch the door close on the seething purple head.

"I'll get you for this!" Her shout becomes distant as the elevator ascends.

The smile on my face gets replaced by straight lips. The elevator's floor count stops on B-20 . It's time.

The metallic doors swoosh open, letting me stare into a familiar pair of glasses obscuring his brown eyes. My heart skips a beat as it always does, not knowing if he was stealing a glance or staring into my soul. I try my best to shield my excitement. I can't let him see me so vulnerable.

"Good afternoon, Commander Ikari, " my voice says in a monotone expression.

"Dr. Akagi," his usual response in that disinterested tone.

He walks in and stands beside me. Not too far to reach the elevator buttons, not too close to brush shoulders with me. We ride the cage in silence.

How long have we stood here, time and again like this? The Major never engages in conversation with me outside of work. Maybe he's shy about it? This shouldn't count as work, right? We are only riding the elevator together. Only riding the elevator.

I turn my green eyes towards him, just to sneak a peek, and he's as stone faced as ever, his thoughts unreadable. He's as handsome as always. Suddenly, the embarrassment creeps into my mind as the sweet thought of our previous interaction. Our bodies danced in the heat of his burning touch as he whispered my name softly into his ears.

"Ritsuko."

Just the sound of his voice lifts me off the ground. He turns his head towards me.

"Dr.Akagi?"

I snap back to reality.

"Yes, what is it, Commander?" I ask as I eagerly stare into his spectacles as he pushes them further up the bridge of his nose.

"I asked if the preparations for the arrival of the Third Child have been completed."

He looks away as I blink at him, my flusteredness twisting my tongue. It's easy to forget at times that he has a son.

"Yes, of course! I've cleared all his medical records. All that's left is for him to arrive before the appearance of the third angel."

"Good. And Rei?"

The butterflies in my stomach turn into moths at the mention of that name. As much as the man has many mysteries to his name, I just can't fathom the courage to ask him why he cares so much for that girl. He might not say it, but I'm afraid I already know the reason. I aided in creating her after alI, yet I can't even stand looking at her doll-like face. They just look too similar to each other.

"She's still recovering. Given how major the injury to her head was, I estimate a full recovery within 4-6 weeks."

"That's not fast enough. Prepare her for surgery in the next hour."

My eyes bulge wide open.

"Are you sure? She hasn't even woken up yet. The risk of-"

"Do it. I trust you won't fail me, Dr.Akagi," he says as the elevator stops and he steps out without so little as a goodbye.

The elevator doors close on me as I bite on my bottom lip. The absurdity of this man never ceases to be amazing. I guess Misato isn't the only one in love with an inconsiderate man.

'A woman's charms are like a curse. He's just too hung up with unnecessary thoughts at the moment.' I bet you would have said something along those lines, Mother."

I take a deep breath and close my eyes. It's not fun competing with a dead woman, even if she can't make any moves.

He lives me insatiable, like the quest for knowledge beyond life. It's vexing. I can't stop thinking about when he'll touch me again.