𝕀 𝕨𝕚𝕝𝕝(𝕟𝕠𝕥) 𝕗𝕒𝕚𝕝 𝕪𝕠𝕦

Hell has always been frozen over for some time now, but I can't deny the melt, no matter how little it may be

Hell has always been frozen over for some time now, but I can't deny the melt, no matter how little it may be. I guess now is as good a time as any to play the role of concerned lover for Fuyutsuki. The plane ride back made me put a lot of thought into it. If anything, the pressure to succeed as soon as possible may lift off my shoulders if I convince Gendo to put Unit-01 on ice for now.

Taking a deep breath, I rest my shoulders back and swipe my access card against the illuminated panel. The metal doors pry themselves open as I walk into the dimly lit room. The walls were always black. In its center is a singular office desk, cleared of course, and its sole owner sat on a black chair, elbows planted firmly on the desk with his body leaning forward. Not a hint of a warm greeting seen as he clutched his gloved palms before the lower half of his face.

"Commander Ikari," I greeted as I bowed my head slightly.

"Dr.Akagi," he replied coldly. "I trust that you've brought the latest data set from the Magi."

I move my clipboard over my chest as I give him a small smile.

"Yes, Commander," I said as I walked up to his desk and presented the papers to him.

As he extended his hand to receive the papers, our fingers brushed past each other.

His thumb twitches.

I stood there while he flipped through the papers in silence. Now was my chance to kill two birds with one stone.

"With the recent data on Rei's neurolinks and the Magi's predictions, I can confidently say that Unit-00 is ready for its second activation test."

"It's unfortunate that we can't carry out such an action," he said in a stern voice.

I gave him a puzzled look. I thought Gendo cared about getting results, regardless of how long it would take. Maybe he needs a little push.

"Well, seeing how the Third Child has yet to accept NERV's on hand request, it would take considerable time and effort for him to undergo any training before the arrival of the Third Angel. We can't rely on waiting for him when we can utilize the best of the current situation. The First Child," I paused as his eyes finally met mine,"has shown exceptional promise in piloting Unit-00 and is nearly fully recovered. This more time allocated to make further adjustments to her Unit-''

"Time is not on our side," he interjected. "My decision is final. Unit-00 will be frozen, and all resources are to be given towards Unit-01 activation test, with or without its designated pilot."

"On the contrary, sir, the Magi haven't arrived on a set date of arrival for the Angels," I argued.

I walked over to his side and bent down low to place my hand on top of his.

"Can't we put off the end of the world for a little longer, Commander," I put my fingers through his. "Can't you give me a chance to finish Unit-00?"

He turned his face to meet mine and placed his other free hand under my chin.

"If you believe that the two Evangelions under my custody are the same, then you are surely mistaken."

His grip on my chin tightened as he dragged me into the abyss of his eyes.

"Unit-00 is the prototype, nothing more and nothing less. So when I tell you to work on Unit-01, it's because I'm honoring you with duty to work on the peak of biochemical engineering. "

"But Gendo-"

"Failure is an extension of your inability to grasp onto faith, It's something that I wouldn't expect from you, Doctor, yet it seems to be the one thing you give me these days," he hissed before letting go of her face. "This is your chance to win me back. I know you won't disappoint me again."

I stood up straight and vehemently nodded.

I bit my lip. This is the first time he's treated me so cruelly. I've never missed any crucial data, planning down everything to every detail. Maybe it's the Magi, could it have been wrong? I can feel the portable remote monitor in my lab coat pocket, resisting the urge to reach out and use it before his very eyes. And I'm more than worthy, I've dedicated my entire adult life to his research, and I've elevated it anyway I could.

I've been set up. That's it! I hung my head low. That vile fossil played me into a trap. He's known about Gendo's decision from the beginning. My timing, that bed warming talk, it was all a ploy to humiliate me, to make the Commander think I was unnecessary over a single failure.

"The responsibility of Unit-01's activities lies in your hands, Dr.Akagi. Fuyutsuki can go over the next few preparation stages as you finalize the Magi's data. You may go now."

I nod my head and exit the room. With a heavy heart, I make my way to my office, taking the chance to regain my composure as it dwindles with every click of my heels against the sullen hallway tiles.

As I looked up, my stomach churned as I looked into that pale girl's glassy eyes. She was mocking me with her pity. I closed my eyes and walked past her. She was the unnecessary one, and it made my blood boil to know the errand girl was now getting the time to be fully rested as she pleased her simple soul with being beside him.

As I got into the elevator, I could still see her thin figure from the corner of my eye. She grimaced behind my back, a sly action I never expected from an emotionless doll. Before I could fully turn my body to see it head on myself, the elevator doors closed on me. The only thing I could do now was clench my clipboard further into my chest.