𝕀(𝕕𝕠𝕟'𝕥) 𝕥𝕠𝕦𝕔𝕙 𝕞𝕖

I roll my eyes at the UN logo slapped upon the pile of paperwork stacked on my office desk

I roll my eyes at the UN logo slapped upon the pile of paperwork stacked on my office desk. There's no such thing as a break from work at any time of day. To make matters worse, it's the dreadful timing of the documents' arrival that needs to be read and filled out before the next UN Security Council meeting that happens to take place tomorrow.

"They should have sent me an email instead," I muttered. The Commander's insistence on relying on non-automous systems is a pain. The future lies in inter-networks around the world. I would rather be working on that than filing paperwork.

I clutched onto my cigarette lighter and headed out of my office towards the smoking area of the lounge on my level.

After taking a few huffs, a pair of familiar gruff hands place themselves on my shoulders, giving me a gentle squeeze. I almost lean into their warmth.

"Shouldn't you be preparing for the meeting tomorrow?" A deep voice gleefully teases me.

I rest the back of my head on his chest.

"I was wondering who put those papers on my desk in the first place."

The weight on my shoulders lifts off, and he leans against the wall beside me, the smugness radiating into my side as I refuse to give him the pleasure of even gazing into his charming eyes.

"I guess the Japanese Government isn't paying you well enough, Kaji."

"Just because I don't show my face around here doesn't mean my wallet isn't feeling grateful for NERV's generosity."

"Well, Katsuragi thinks she's not sucking you off hard enough," I sighed.

Ryoji chuckles.

"Perhaps in your next discussion about me, you will get a full review on my underperformance once more."

The two of us burst into laughter.

"A playboy like you shouldn't even know the definition of 'underperformance'. It's was well known fact to all the girls back in college that you were an overpeformer."

"Oh really?" He asked as he shuffled closer to me.

"The best," I exhaled as I playfully drew a circle in the air with the cigarette smoke.

"I'm glad I'm still getting a five star review from you after all these years," he said as he gently placed his index finger under my chin, prompting me to quickly slap it away.

"You used to be open to the idea of playing around with me," he whimpered.

"We ended from the microsecond you placed your eyes on Misato."

"That's fair," he breathed out. "But,"

If his plan was to get a rise out of me, then it worked. It's his specialty that isn't reserved to his girlfriend alone. "It explains why Ikari's bed is warmer these days."

I can feel a painful obnoxious smile burning on my cheek as I resist the urge to throw my head back. Closing my eyes, I waved him off.

"Get back to work. Lunchtime was over two hours ago anyways," I scoffed.

Kaji lifts himself off the wall and gives me a pat on the back.

"Don't forget to pick up your boxers from Misato's," I yell at him, getting a small chuckle in response.

As soon as he was out of sight, I let my face fall as I rubbed his sly kiss off my cheek. Kaji is a playboy, but he's no idiot. Well, a spy's job is to gather information. I just didn't want the news about my night visits to Gendo to be a part of it. But revealing that to me could only mean that I've been breached. The question is for how long?

"I should write up new code for the door locks," I said as I headed back to my office.

As soon as I turned towards my computer, the file marked "Project-E() " was widely displayed on the monitor.

"No point in having by-passes anymore," I sighed as I immediately switched off the monitor screen and decided to skim through the mandatory paperwork.

As soon as I started on the first pile, a small note fell out onto my lap reading 'Sleep more. Preferably on me :). K'

Romance is desperate if love notes are being written in Kaji's chicken foot handwriting. I scrunch up the yellow paper into the pocket of my lab coat. It's in my best interest to ignore the message and keep my eyes open. But I can't shake the sickly feeling that Kaji may be onto something dangerous. Something beyond Project-E(). I narrow my eyes at the thought. If not the EVAs, then it could only be what lies dormant below NERV. Lilith.

"Hard at work as always," Misato's voice rang out.

I can't be bothered to give her a meek smile as I rub my forehead and turn over a few pages.

"Well, when the mice are away, the cats should play. And what fools we were in believing that."

She leans against the doorframe, head hung low away from my hardened eyes in silence. Now would be as good a time as any to apologize to her, yet my tongue won't allow the words to take shape. The purple head suddenly jerks her head up with a silly grin.

"Then let's head over to the longue for a drink next time. It's my treat, you know, to make up for the weekend's tab," she beamed.

A smile tugs on my lips.

"I was half expecting a week of ex-communication before you suddenly felt like having another free round of shots," I taunted as I threw on my reading glasses.

She crosses her arms and puffs out her cheeks like a child.

"It won't kill you to spoil me every once in a while, Ritsuko."

"I concur, but my purse says otherwise. Maybe Kaji can be a doll and pull out a wad of cash like last time."

"No way!" Misato groaned." God knows where that money could have come from. It always wrinkles with this awful rotting fruit smell, It's so bleugh!"

"You complain, but the moment the beers are lined up, the stench is the least of your concerns," I giggled.

"Old fashioned Kaji. So in love with his wallet that he won't consider a credit card. He's lucky that the vending machines still accept bills."

I snicker. If there's anything Misato is good at, it's lightening up the mood. Although I don't think drunken quarrels will be enough to calm the storm that brews in my mind. Whatever Kaji is looking for, it better not kill him for Misato's sake.