Chapter Nine

Rape, mental and fiscal abuse

Steve walked into the room where the officer waited, he walked in and found him sitting on the chair. He heard the door open and close, he didn't bother to look up, while he reread the paper he held. "Now, I want you to give me your side of the story of what happened here," he told the officer.

Brooks looked up. "What about your patients?"

Steve smiled. "I'm all done, it's lunchtime, I close at this time, now talk."

Brooks didn't smile back; he didn't feel very good about himself at all and spoke. "I lost my temper when I asked the lady to leave, and the child gave me an attitude," he started to fidget with the paper he was holding. "I told the girl that someone like me should teach her some manners," he glanced at the paper again. "Then the woman got in my face about respect, and I called her a very bad name without thinking."

"So, you had to use foul language at my secretary?" The officer's head snapped up. "You mean you didn't know?" When the officer shook his head, Steve continued. "Where did you think my secretary was?"

"I don't know?" Brooks bowed his head in confusion. "I thought she went to lunch, anyway," the officer didn't know if he should tell the doctor what he was holding, and then he decided he better. "The reason I lost my head is that the child's father is dead."

Steve was shocked. "You believe the child had something to do with that?" Brooks nodded. "Well, I can tell you she didn't. She was hysterical when she came in, if it weren't for my secretary the girl would never have let me check her, why did you think she wanted her to stay for?" Steve demanded.

Brooks was angry at himself; he did not even notice how scared the girl seemed when he asked the lady to leave. He was supposed to be a man of the law; he looked at Steve with tears in his eyes. "Where are they?"

"Filing a complaint against you," Steve told him. "I'll get them."

Brooks waited for them to enter; he placed his hat beside him and stared at the paper in his hand. He could not believe how stupid he was. "Damn," he said aloud. "I cannot go on like this, jumping to all the wrong conclusions," the door opened, and two adults and a child walked in.

"Carmella, the officer has something to say," Steve told her.

Brooks stood up. "I'm sorry," he shook his head. "I snapped because I thought the girl killed her father. I know it's no excuse and apologies do not count, I... never mind," he handed Carmella the note.

Carmella took the paper; she did not know if she was strong enough to read it. She looked at the child standing beside her, shrugged her shoulders, then opened it and read it to herself.

My dearest Tierra,

I am sorry for what I've done; I had no right to touch you. Yes, I know what I did was wrong; It is not your fault that you look so much like your mother. You have every right to hate me, please wear your mothers things with pride, she would want you to.

Please, forgive me for what I have said and done because I will never forgive myself. When you read this, my life will be over, and I will not hurt you anymore.

I will always love you. Your dad!!!

"You took this letter and read it, and blamed an innocent child for killing him?" Carmella asked.