𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔: 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧

Ada's POV

Ada's POV

I can't believe Hotch is here. Here. In my house.

I take a deep breath as I open the door widely for him to come in, he stepped through the entrance, his eyes visibly darting around the hallway, presumably trying not to have an audible reaction to the complete and utter mess which was this house.

I didn't lie when I said I wasn't angry, I think I'm more embarrassed. Embarrassed at the fact that I lied to him for so long, it was a stupid thing to do, he would obviously end up finding out. I'm also humiliated that he has to see me so vulnerable, in my own house, a house that makes me seem hopeless.

I shut the door, watching as Hotch moved through the hallway, I followed like a baby duck, keeping an eye out for trip hazards on the floor beneath him.

"Would you like a drink?" I asked from behind him.

He turned over his shoulder, "A coffee would be great."

I nodded, quickly moving past him and through to the kitchen, "We have a few slices of pizza leftover from lunch, they're still warm, want it?"

He sat down on a chair at the kitchen table, "I'm good, thanks." He sighed, "So this is your house?"

I closed my eyes, exhaling as I turned around to face him, "Yes. I know it needs work and is kind of a crap fest, but I will get to it."

"I didn't say that." He countered as I poured him a drink.

"You didn't have to, your frown says it all," I responded with a small smile as I put the mug in front of him, taking a seat beside him.

"I'm not frowning." He insisted.

I scoffed with a grin, "When I first met you, a part of me thought you had had so much botox in the bottom portion of your face, that you couldn't move it in certain directions. You frown all the time, and this is one of those times."

He swallowed, gazing up at me, "I just don't think I could leave you, knowing that this is how you live, Ada."

The thought made my heartbeat against my ribcage. He cared, like really cared. Our eyes locked across the table, a beat of silence washing over us.

He cleared his throat, "How did the house end up like this anyway?"

I snapped myself out of the blissful daze that Hotch managed to put me under, "Oh, that story is not light telling. How about a tour?"

He nodded with a straight expression, following me as I lead him into the living room, I gestured out with an awkward smile.

"It doesn't always look like this, really," I spoke, noting the shocked expression on his face.

"How does it usually look?" He questioned as his gaze swept across the room.

"Cozy, we always have lots of blankets and pillows because sometimes I can't afford to keep the heating on." I described with a placid smile, "There's always toys everywhere, but part of me likes it. It may be tired and worn, but it's our home."