CHAPTER 44

Once Meredith arrived home, she immediately collapsed face down onto the couch. Every memory, good and bad came flooding back through her head, sending a rush of emotion straight through her small body. She couldn't help but let a few tears fall, even though she tried hard to keep them confined, trapped inside of herself. The storm had begun to pick up once more, pushing fear into her already cramped body. Heaving a large sigh, she curled into a ball on her small couch, grasping her knees tightly with her delicate fingers. Without warning, the rain poured down instantly, causing thunder and lighting near every thirty seconds. This was the worst storm Seattle had seen in quite sometime. Anxiety rushing through her body, she quickly turned on every light and tv, radio, or anything that made noise in attempt to block out the loud booms that rang outside of her small house. Returning to her normal position on her couch, Meredith closed her eyes, ignoring everything around her so much that she hadn't realized someone come through the door.

"Oh Mer," He said, rushing to her side, as he lifted her into his arm, rocking her slowly. Too tired and scared, she didn't dare push him away, even though at the moment he wasn't really the man she longed for, "This is all too much," he whispered lightly into her hair, "The storm. . .her. . .I'm so sorry."

After a long pause, Meredith broke the silence, "It's not your fault. . ." came her soft reply, "You didn't invite her. . ." Kissing her on the top of her head, he pulled her small frame even closer to his body, which led to her laying on top of him, nestled safely on the couch. "We shouldn't be doing this Derek."

"Why?" He asked, concerned.

"Because. . .I am engaged, I love Aiden. We have set a date. Together, we did. I didn't tell you, but we did."

Unable to choose his words, it was awhile before Derek could respond, "Wh-So, last night? Are you saying last night was nothing?" He now sat up, making Meredith practically fall off his lap.

"Derek. . .last ni- last night was a mistake, that's the only way I know how to put it. Just a mistake. . .That's all, I'm sorry," and standing, up, she quickly made her way upstairs and into her room, slamming the door shut. Falling back into the couch, Derek ran his hands up his face, eventually leading into his hair, where he kept them. Everything had come upon Derek as fast as it came on Meredith, which scared him. And if this was frightening him, he couldn't even imagine what she was going through. But more importantly, if he was scared, even half as much as she was, he would not be able to comfort her. While he was lost in thought, the door busted open, revealing a panicked Aiden. He looked to the couch, glaring at Derek before he rushed upstairs to aid his fiance. Derek heard him throw open the door, and loud footsteps indicating that he had found her.