Chapter 3: Pack Mentality

Mercedes' POV

I decided to skip school the next day and instead headed toward the Hale house. "I know you're here." I said after I shut the door. I walked toward the stairs and started walking upstairs. "You know I had nothing to do with getting you thrown in jail."

"I know." I heard him say. I sighed. "You're annoyed."

"Way to state the obvious." I looked around trying to pinpoint where he was. "I always hated hide and seek when I was a kid."

"Trust your instincts." Derek said. "You work with the FBI when you're not here."

"Not in the field. Overprotective father when it comes to having me find the bad guy." I explained as I closed my eyes and concentrated.

"Still you knew I was in Scott's room before he did the other night."

I shrugged. "Good instincts." I muttered, before I started walking again, this time towards a closed door. I opened the door and wasn't surprised to see him standing by the window. "Is there some weird fascination you have with windows?" I asked. He was silent as he turned around.

"Like I said, you have good instincts." He said disregarding my question. Before I could say anything he turned back around toward the window piquing my interest. I walked toward the window and saw a cop car pull up outside. I couldn't hear what's being said but I knew it couldn't be good when the cop started towards the house. The deputy only stopped when his k-9 started barking like crazy. He turned around and got back in his car and drove away only for Scott to show up.

"Stay here." Derek said before he walked out of the room. I said nothing as he quietly walked out of the room and most likely the house to talk to Scott. I walked around the room and let my fingers skim along the walls when suddenly I was no longer in the burned down house.

"Mercedes McCall is the seer." A female voice said. "But she's different from other seers. She'll be able to see the past, present, and future."

"How can you be sure, Talia?" A familiar voice asked.

"A feeling." The woman, Talia, replied. "She's extraordinary in trusting her instincts, Deaton. She's smart according to Cora."

"DEREK COME HELP ME WITH THIS QUESTION!" I heard someone yell from another room.

"Stop eavesdropping on Mom's conversation's Derek." Another voice said.

"Mercedes?" I was snapped out of the vision when I heard my name. I looked toward Derek.

"Hmmm?"

"You okay? I tried to get your attention three times?" He asked.

"What's a seer?" I asked him.

"They're extremely rare." He said. "Why?"

"Because I think I just had a vision of your mom telling someone that I'm a seer."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. So tell me what the hell a seer is?"

"Their gift varies depending on the person. Some of them can see the future, others the past." He started.

"According to the vision I just had, your mom said I could see the past, present, and future." I told him.

"I'll have to look into it because I've never heard of anyone who could see all three." He turned around and walked out of the room. I sighed and followed after him. We walked out of the house in silence and got into his car. He explained what he did know about seers, how they could either touch something and get a vision or be close to a person and receive a vision. We drove around town for a while and once night fell, we pulled into an empty gas station. I got out of the car and walked into the station to use the bathroom really quick and to grab a few snacks. I pulled a $20 bill out of my wallet and handed it to the cashier before I glanced outside. I saw two SUVs pull into the station. One in front of Derek's car and one behind it blocking him in.

"Thanks" I told the cashier before I grabbed the bag and headed back out to the car as Chris Argent got out of one of the SUV's. I put the bags in the car and walked around to stand next to Derek.

"Nice ride!" Chris called out, after Derek removed the pump from the gas tank and put it back in the holder while I closed the lid of the gas tank. He ran his fingers across the hood of the Camaro. "Black cars, though..." He glanced at me. "Very hard to keep clean. I would definitely suggest a little more maintenance." I shared a quick look with Derek as Chris picked up the complimentary windshield wiper cleaner and squeegee. "If you have something this nice, you want to take care of it, right?" He starts cleaning off Derek's windshield as he continues talking. "Personally... I'm very protective of the things I love. But that's something I learned from my family. And you don't have much of that these days... Do you?" I grabbed Derek's hand as he clenched his hand into a fist. After a moment he released his fists, and instead of letting go of my hand he continued to hold it. "See how that makes everything so much clearer?" He turned around and started walking back to his car when Derek decided to open his mouth.

"You forgot to check the oil." I glared at Derek. I followed Argents line of sight and saw the other two hunters behind us.

"Check the man's oil." Chris said. The shorter hunter walked over to Derek's car reluctantly as both of us watched him intently. Instead of walking around to the front of the car to pop the hood, the hunter stopped on the driver's side and used the butt of his gun to smash the window before he looked over at Argent.

"Looks good to me." The Hunter said.

Chris smiles at Derek. "Drive safely." He then glances at me. "I would really hate for one of Allison's friends to be caught in the crossfire, Mercedes. Be careful." He then turns and gets in his Suv before I stop him.

"I always am!" I called out. He smiles again before getting in his car and driving off with the other hunters following him. Derek walked around to his side of the car and started picking up the pieces of glass out of his seat. Once there was no longer any glass in the seat we both got in the car and drove to the hospital. "So the Alpha called Scott out against his will last night and wanted his help to kill this guy?" I asked since Derek finally decided to tell me why Scott had come by earlier that day.

"Yeah. Can you get me in there without me being seen?" He asked.

"The only way I'd be able to do that is if I watched one of Jennifer's patients." I told him. "Mom would be distracted knowing I was here so everything else wouldn't matter." He nodded and we both got out of the car and walked inside. I flashed the FBI badge I had that Derek had insisted we get from my house before we got to the gas station. Derek kept his distance as I walked past the room that the bus driver was in. I slid the badge back into my jacket and walked towards one of the nurses and asked where Jennifer was.

"She's with the patient who's been in a coma for six years." One of them replied. I nodded and walked toward Peter Hale's room. I tried to ignore the feeling I was getting from him and smiled at Jennifer.

"Hey." I said.

"Mercedes. Two times in a week?" She questioned. I shrugged. "Well you're just in time. I gotta run and check something out for your mom would you..."

"It's no problem." I said cutting her off. She smiled and quickly left the room. I walked towards Peter with tentative steps and wondered if I would get any vision from touching him. I gently touched the burned half of his face.

I gasped as I felt the heat from the fire and heard the screams of the others. I pushed further to see the cause of it and saw two teens with gas cans. I pulled my hand away from his face as I heard Derek call my name.

I looked at Peter one more time and finally walked out of the room and walked down the hall where Derek was waiting. "Can you do me a favor before taking me home?" I asked him. He nodded. "Can you stop at the Sheriff's station?" He sighed as we walked outside and got in the car. We quickly arrived at the Sheriff's station. I walked inside quickly and showed the deputy my badge. I managed to get through the halls easily and down to the evidence room.

"Mercedes, you know you're not supposed to be down here." Riley said.

"I know." I said. "But Sheriff Stilinski asked me to grab the evidence from the Hale fire 6 years ago." I said quickly thinking of the lie. The deputy nodded and unlocked the door. I quickly found what I was looking for and pulled out the report and left the evidence room. I rushed out of the station after that and ran to Derek's car. He shot me a questioning look that I ignored. He then drove back to my house and dropped me off. I ran inside and up to my room locking my door behind me. I sat at my desk and started looking over the file.