Chapter 9: Formality Pt.2

Mercedes POV

When I got home from the mall, I took a quick shower before I started to get ready for the Formal. I pulled my hair up into a ponytail with some pieces of hair falling to frame my face, and added a couple of bobby pins that had some silver circles (they also matched the dress somewhat) on the end to help keep most of my hair up. I pulled on the dress after I did my makeup. I glanced over toward the triskele necklace. I picked it up before slipping it on over my neck.

Mom got pictures of both Scott and I when we were both ready. The both of us headed for the dance. Scott decided to ride his bike while I took my car. Halfway to the school, one of the tires on my car blew. "Dammit." I muttered, as I climbed out of my car. Before I could even close the door, something hit me from the side before my eyes slid close.

Derek's POV

"We brought you a present, Derek." Kate said as she walked back into the room. "Put her in the chair. Cuff her hands." Her scent filled the room as they moved her into the room.  "I remember her hanging around your house when she was younger, before the fire. The most protected in the pack. Her necklace even matches your tattoo." Kate pointed out. 

"She has nothing to do with this. Let her go." I told Kate. 

"She's pack. If you won't help me, find the Alpha, then maybe she will." One of the other hunters walked closer to Mercedes. 

"Don't touch her!" I growled at the man. 

Mercedes POV

I came too when someone threw something wet on me. "Looks like Sleeping beauty is awake." I glanced around my surroundings. Derek was chained up to a wall with wires stuck to his body. Allison's aunt was standing in front of me. "Who's the Alpha?" Kate asked. 

"If I knew who the Alpha was he'd be dead." I sassed the hunter. 

"Sassy, just like I remembered." Kate smirked. "If you won't tell me then this is about to hurt." She reached over to the table and turned up the dial. I bit my tongue to keep from screaming out in pain. She increased the dial. I could taste my own blood from where I was biting my tongue so hard. I could feel her eyes on me, but I was determined not to let her know that I could feel Derek's pain. She turned off the monstrous machine and I sucked in a much-needed breath. "It'll end quicker if one of you breaks and tell me who the Alpha is." She taunted. I saw her reach for the dial.

"Wait!" I could feel the heated glare from Derek but kept my eyes on Kate. "We don't know who the Alpha is. If we did, don't you think I would've told Chris?" I met Derek's eyes. Kate started pacing. 'I have a plan.' I mouthed to the sour wolf.

"You could have, but you haven't. That makes me wonder if you even know or if you're truly protecting the Alpha. You're Alpha." She said looking at me. "You were always so loyal to Talia, always there when I had to sneak around." 

"Whoever the Alpha is, he's not mine. I answered to Talia because she knows what it means to be loyal to her pack, her family. It's something you Hunters can't seem to understand." I replied with more sass than I should've, but I knew I needed to cause a vision. In response she turned the dial up further than what she had it at before. 

I was sitting next to Cora working on our homework in the Garden outside the Hale house. I glanced up from where Derek was practicing for the upcoming basketball game, when he suddenly stopped as the bushes next to him moved. I saw a flash of brunette hair before Derek disappeared.

"Merc, focus." I glanced back at Cora and smiled before returning to my homework.

I came back as the electric shocks started to lessen. I heard the ringing of a phone before I saw her turn it off and left the room as she answered.