Chapter 8: Co-Captain/Formality Pt. 1

Mercedes' POV

Mercedes' POV

I avoided Scott when he got home that night. I also locked my window to keep Derek out of the house and took off the triskele necklace. I couldn't believe he would side with Peter. After hours of tossing and turning I finally managed to fall asleep.

When I got up at noon, I started pouring over the Hale fire report again while ignoring Derek's calls. When night started to fall, Lydia called and wanted to make plans with me and Allison about shopping for the winter formal.

"Merc, do you have a neutral lip gloss I can borrow?" Mom asked while knocking on my closed door.

"You can come in mom." I told her as I ended the call with Lydia. I got up from my seat and walked over to the vanity I had in the corner of the room. "Here, Lydia got it for me last year and I've never worn it." I had her the lightest color I had before I noticed she was dressed up. Before I could ask her why she as dressed up Scott came barging into my room and asked her. 

"Why are you so dressed up?" Scott asked. 

"Because I have a date with someone over the age of 16." Mom replied.

"Oh, you mean that medical rep you were telling me about earlier?" I asked.

She nodded. Before she could start explaining to Scott the doorbell started to ring. "Crap. I'm not ready yet. Can you get the door?" She asked glancing between me and Scott. We both nodded and all three of us walked out of my bedroom. Scott and I headed downstairs and mom towards her room to finish getting ready. 

Just as I was about to open the door, Scott stopped me.

"What?" I asked him. 

"Don't open the door." He whispered. 

"Kids get the door!" Mom shouted.

"One minute." Scott shouted back up to her. 

"Scott don't do this to mom." I told him, as the bell continued to ring. I shoved him out of the way and opened the door. Scott bolted for the door as I stood frozen staring at Peter Hale. Before Scott could even close the door, Peter stopped him by placing his hand in the way. "Yeah, I'm just going to go back up to my room." I spoke. 

"Mercedes, why are you ignoring my nephew's calls?" Peter asked as I headed for the stairs.

"Maybe because he is siding with his psychotic uncle." I whispered before rushing up the stairs.

I double checked that my window was still locked just in case Derek showed up before I grabbed my keys and phone before rushing out of the door. "I'm coming with you>" Scott said as I reached my car. 

"Get in." I climbed in and started the car. "I'll follow them from a distance." Along the way traffic came to a stop. I glanced at a nervous Scott. "You're the wolf you go see what the cause is." I tell him. 

"I've dreamt about this place. I remember the staircase, these walls." I glanced around my surroundings and realized I was standing in the Hale house.

"Jackson's in trouble." I jumped when Scott got back in the car, 
"I know where he's at." I put the car in reverse and turned around while Scott fumbled for the seatbelt. I drove towards the Hale house. I went around the back so Scott could sneak in. "Alright powers let me see."

Scott and Derek, both circled each other before pausing. "Cover your eyes!" Derek shouted as a flash bomb enters one of the windows and explodes. 

I pulled myself from the vision and got out of the car. I carefully snuck around the house and saw the hunters. Before I could even react, I saw Derek running out of the house and straight towards the hunters. "Idiot." I whispered. His head jerked in my direction. "Be safe." I whispered before I turned back around and carefully made my way back to my car. 

I knew I couldn't do anything to help him, not without getting myself hurt. I drove back home figuring Scott helped get Jackson out and then ran back home.

That night and the night after, I barely slept as it felt like my body was being electrocuted constantly.

The next day at school I dozed off in my classes. Luckily after school, Lydia, Allison and I all met at the mall.

"Alright, you two. What's going on? Merc, you fell asleep in all our classes today. You never do that." Lydia said.

"Nothing. Just barely slept the last two nights. Gotta lot on my mind."

"Gotta lot on my mind." Allison replied.

"Smile, girls. I'm buying your dresses." A small smile appeared on my face. I split up from the two and started looking for a dress. I picked a white and black one before a voice interrupted my thoughts.

"That's not your color." I glared at Peter. He reached for a midnight blue dress and held it up with one hand while the other grabbed my arm. "That's more your color." I slowly reached in my bag and pulled a small knife out. 

"I don't care." I cut his hand, which caused him to let go of my arm. 

"Where's Derek, little seer?" He asked.

"I'm not his keeper." I replied. I took the dress from him and walked away. I found Lydia and Stiles. "Lyds. I got my dress, I gotta get home though." Lydia passed me her card and had Stiles follow me as I paid for the dress that Peter picked up. I passed the card back to Stiles before I left the mall.