Chapter 45

Things were awkward. He couldnt look in her eyes at all. Whenever she tried approaching him, he looked away and pretended to go in another direction.

well that went well Veronica sighed. She hated being the reason for someone elses despair. And what made it worse that this was Jughead who was involved. The boy, who was her first friend. The first person who truly understood and accepted her for who she really is. And what did she do? Hurt him the worst way possible.

Things werent great at home. Her family is in jail, shes in foster case under Mr Smithers, and worse, there will be a trial held she has to see her mother and father being convicted. Theres a guilt inside her, what if she had helped her father by giving a statement in his favour? Would he have changed? Could her mother have been saved? The what ifs were running in her mind, and then out of nowhere she heard jughead confessing and she went blank. But that doesnt make it right. It doesnt give her the right to hurt jughead like she did.

She is constantly beating herself for what she has done and she doesnt know what to do. In fact, she didnt give him an answer, she has to first clear that out as well. What does she feel for him? Does she like him as well? She looks at him as a friend only? If she was truly honest, she would understand that she liked him as well. But she didnt want admit it. She couldnt. She wasnt ready. Where did that lead her then?

She needed to speak to Jughead. She had to talk to him, she quickly went forward, trying to follow jughead where he went. If he didnt want her to be his friend, she would accept it. But she has to be as honest she can be with him right now. Even if that means, losing him forever. She soon caught up with him and held his hand.

Jughead, we need to talk veronica said as she dragged him to an empty classroom

Jughead was distraught. What does she want? He was giving her space. Isnt that what she needed? Time away from him? What does she want to say that would somehow make it all better?

what do you want Veronica? he asked

Veronica was hurt when he didnt call her Celia. But she deserved that. I wanted to say Im sorry. Im so sorry, for running away.

thats it? Its okay Jughead curtly replied. What the hell? What am I saying? He thought. He isnt able to control himself.

Veronica flinched. Guess, this is what she should have expected, but it was harsher than she thought. Jughead, please. Im so sorry, for breaking your heart

Veronica, just get to the point Jughead said. Shit. What did he do he could literally see her breaking. But he cant control his actions. His hurt is coming out in the worst way possible. The person he wants to protect, the person he never wants to hurt. Hes causing pain to that person.

I- I uh, just wanted to tell you that, what you said yesterday, really meant a lot to me. It really did. but you and me? We cant. Im not ready, I dont have the mental space right now, to go through a relationship. I would hurt you. Too much is going on, and I cant. I just cant, Im so sorry, Its not you, Its me. Im the person who is messing our relationship. And I would understand if you never wanted to see me again Veronica said as she started to cry.

Jughead was numb. He couldnt understand what just happened. Veronica rejected him. But shes hurting so much. How can he blame her for breaking his heart, when her heart is already broken? By those people who she considered family? He loved her, wanted to be with her, but it wasnt the time. And as much as he wanted to be angry at her, to hold her responsible for his hurt, he knew he had to get over it. Because, no matter what, veronica cant be sad. She cant be hurt. And when she needs him the most he cant abandon her, no matter how hurt he is. Thats where he draws the line. As long as she is fine. He will be too.

Taking his silence as his answer she was about to leave when he suddenly grabbed her hand to stop. wait, Im-Im being a jerk right now. I had decided that I would give you space. I knew that I was wrong to sprung on my feelings to you knowing that you were going through a tough time. Im sorry he said looking down

its not your fault. Its never your fault. Im the one whos at fault here. Youre so amazing Veronica cried.

Jughead pulled her in for a hug, keeping her close to him Its not your fault Celia. Its no ones fault. You tried to talk to me, gave me space, even listened to me while I was being a jackass right now. This isnt the time for us. But I know, were meant to be together, I will always wait for you. Youre it for me, I hope you understand that. And I will never, never leave you for anything jughead said as he kissed her head

Veronica just sobbed on his chest, holding onto him tightly youre everything jughead. Ill always come back to you, youre my safe place, the one I imagine coming home to after the tiring days, please till Im ready, wait for me? Please?

always. Celia. I will always be here waiting for you jughead said hugging her tighter.