Chapter 5: Repel

Ender's POV

I pulled back the moment I realise what I was doing. I just got lost in her grey universe, which was staring back at me. I had nothing to say, it was pretty clear what she meant to me.

"Eliza, I-"

"Who are you, Ender? Why did you do that? I know you know something that I don't."

"Eliza, I just don't want you to go through what I had to, it wasn't a good thing at all, you wouldn't want to make this into another genocide." I moved away from her and sat back on my chair.

"Look, I'm just telling you now, but if you really think that you can do it, then I can't stop you if you've made up your mind." I told her but she was still flustered at what just happened.

"You don't have to worry about me, I'll take care of myself." with that she left my room.

Great job at keeping your distance Ender.

The few days was a total nightmare, facing the cadets and all their plans of trying to get to the enemy. As expected, Graff sent Eliza to Commander school. The only thing she left me were the look of her cold grey eyes before entering the shuttle.

I saw Petra walking towards my door of my room and I unlocked it for her to come in.

"Ender, what's going on between you and Eliza?" She sat down and I only sighed deeply.

"It's nothing, how's the battle prep going up there? Are they going to use the little doctor?"

"Ender, you know they only trained me to be the only one who's able to shoot that thing. They would've send me up too if they wanted to use it."

Petra looked at me with sorry eyes that I hated and just looked out the window for a moment.

"I know something is going on between you both, she doesn't even want to speak of your name when I asked about you."

"Good then, she won't have to be burdened by me."

"What do you mean, Ender?"

I turned to look at her and gave up, she was that only one friend other than Valentine that I was able to show my vulnerable side comfortably.

"She was my only childhood friend when we were very little. We met during the check ups that we had to go through to get here. I passed it before her and I didn't expected her to even be here. I thought she was still down at earth but when you told me there was a new unit and her name just fits everything into place. There are going to kill the Numberks, Petra. I know it, Graff's face says it all. I just... I don't want her to face what i've been through..."

Petra came up to me and gave me a hug, rubbing my back soothingly.

"Oh Ender.. Don't think so much, right now, I don't think she remembers that's all. If she knows what she's doing, then I guess we just got to trust her that she's making a good decision for herself. She's smart enough to think for herself. Don't be so hard on yourself..."

The next thing I know I was crying and vented out everything that I kept inside of me to her.

"You kissed her?!" She exclaimed, luckily the door was tightly shut.

"Keep it down, it's been awhile, ever since you told me about her, i've been looking from a far, from that planet that I was stuck at temporarily. I've grown to love her but she can't see it."

"There has to be someway that you guys can reconnect to each other again. Did you tell her that you know her ever since childhood?"

I shook my head, and walked around the room thinking of what I should do.

"I don't even know what to do-"

"Code red, code red, please evacuate to safety."

Both of us looked at each other, alarmed, quickly bring ourselves to the ship for safety.

Bean and the rest were already there, looking as clueless and panicked as all of us.

"What's going on?"

The shuttle started shaking and at the little window, I peeked through closely to see a big group of Numberks.

"Oh shit."

I went back to my friends to tell them of the news.

"Admiral Ender Wiggen, please report to the battle shuttle."

I didn't have time to tell them about it, I pulled Petra along with me because I know we need the little doctor.

"Ender, what's going on?"

"Numberks, they're here, it's quite a big group."

Once we reached the battle ship, we straight away left the place to the commander school. I hope Bean and the rest come by soon, I need them, I need my family by me. When we turned to expect the commander school, there was nothing but a cold frozen planet, everything that was once red and orange, was now white and blue.

Oh no, ELIZA!

Petra's POV

"Oh my god, please.." Ender leaned against the window.

"Ender... They might have evacuated already." He didn't respond to me.

He really loves her.

"Ender,"

"What?!"

"Look there's signals! They're red, we gotta do something!"

Ender's expression totally changes and he went to sit on the firing area with me.

"We need to find them."

We flew and managed to secure ourselves to a planet which has giant rocks to block us away from the enemy.

"Is there any other signal than the red ones?"

"No, they're still searching for something around the space, but we're at a safe place now. There is no way for them to connect our ship in this thick shell."

Ender looked down and I saw a tear falling.

"If anything were to happen to her..."

"Ender stop it, nothing is going to happen to her okay? We'll find her."

The machine started to blink again, but there was a blue light which is gathering the Reds to it.

"Ender, we need to go, that blue light might be some of our crew? Or even her ship?"

"Come on, let's go, we need all the manpower and ship that we can get."