Chapter 10: Choked

Ender's POV

I was getting worried about Eliza, she was getting better but it felt like a part of her has changed. I can't really pin point it but it wasn't just her appearance that changed. I keep getting this feeling like she's trying to avoid me.

I saw Petra walking past me from the library. I pulled her to the side, maybe she has an idea as to why Eliza wasn't being quite herself.

"Petra, did Eliza tell you anything? Whether she was feeling fine or something?"

"No, not really why?"

"No I was just asking, I didn't want her to think i'm an over protective person." I quickly made up an excuse.

"You mean boyfriend?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Oh shut up." We laughed and went back to the meeting room.

Graff completely let us take charge, saying if we needed him he'll be there. No one wanted him around, but we know he had the knowledge that we could use. Eliza was the last person to come in and sat right across me, on this long rectangular table, not looking at me.

"Right, let's start, what do you guys have?"

Petra mentioned about their strengths and I was quite aware of it, their powers of being fast but strangely, that's all that they could do. There were such light-weighted creatures. The only thing that's powerful was that they're fast. There's something more to it, i'm sure there is.

"Excuse me, i'll just excuse myself for a minute." Eliza mentioned.

I looked at Petra and she only looked at me as well.

I nodded to Petra to make sure that she's okay. She didn't look so good, and I saw that there was no colour in her lips. Not even 5 minute later, Petra came in panting.

"Ender, come on we need help." I ran without waiting for a second.

Petra's POV

"Eliza? Are you alright?" I called out but she didn't respond to me. Her hands were on the sides of the white sink, water was drilling down from her face.

"It's burning, too much..." I heard her mumbling.

As I got nearer to her, she stood still, the only sounds were the drips of water falling against the sink. I wanted to touch her shoulders but she suddenly looked up to me. Her eyes wasn't hers at all, smoke was appearing as I saw the water on her face evaporate. She started to walk towards me but suddenly she stopped and blinked furiously, as if trying to stop herself.

"GET AWAY FROM ME, GO!" I ran out with no hesitation go get Ender.

"Ender! Something's happened." We wasted no time to run back to the toilet but we found Eliza leaning against the far end wall, hugging herself for her dear life.

Ender started to run towards her but she screamed back.

"NO! Get away from me! I don't want to hurt you." She continued not to look up, but she started sobbing. I could see her skin was as white as the sink is. Some of her veins were popping out, she was restraining herself.

Ender being the stubborn one, still wanted to reach her. I held him back, knowing this was what Eliza would've wanted. He looked at me, anger and confusion filled his ironic calm eyes.

"I promise i'll be fine, just leave me be.." Eliza said softly, it looked like it took all her strength to just look up to us and give us a very faint smile. My heart ache for her, she looked to be in so much pain.

"Come on," I pulled Ender slowly, this time hesitantly following.

Ender's eyes never left Eliza as she looked down again, shaking.

Eliza's POV

Urgh... The pain...

You should've just listen to me then the pain wouldn't be so unbearable.

No, I told you. I will never let you have your way.

Then this are your consequences...

Another sharp pain spreads through my entire body, I couldn't hold it in and I screamed out loud. I was gripping onto myself until my arms were bruised.

I won't lose. I'll protect them. And i'll make you see that all of this is a misunderstanding.

Humans.

After what seemed like hours, I finally managed to calm down again, I washed my face and see that my eyes weren't the orange bright ones, but back to my green serenity ones.

Now that Ender and Petra had seen me like this, I don't think I have a choice but to tell them.

Then Numberk's words rang in my ears again," at your own consequences.."

What's going to happen if they find out, I was fearing for their lives and mine.

I walked slowly back to my room where only Petra and Ender was waiting for me. I hugged myself again, afraid that i'll suddenly go aggressive.

Ender came to me and hugged me tightly. I hugged him back just as tight. Before I knew it tears were falling like a waterfall and I was scared, I was scared hat I might hurt the people I love. Numberk didn't appear, if anything I felt calm again. Petra looked at me as she gave me a relieved smile. When we sat down to talk about this, I felt the calmness disappearing, and restraint replaced it. He was trying to prevent me from telling them.

"What do you guys know about he Numberk?" I asked out strongly.

"Light-weight, extremely fast, that's about it."

"They can go into another living's body, and consume you." It took all of my strength to spit it out.

I told you not to do it.

An even more extreme ring rang in my head. I gripped onto my head, Ender and Petra was trying to help me but nothing was doing it. Ender hands cupped the sides of my head as I tried to withstand the pain.

"You'll be okay, you'll be okay."

What is it with you humans and feelings.

Because that's why we are humans. Unlike you.

Everything went black, my mind was completely numb.