Chapter 10

“You sure you don’t mind having both of them here? Drakes in a pissy mood and Molly won’t even look at me.”

I grumble to Martin as he ushers me towards his car a big grin on his face.

“No way, they’re like my siblings too besides it will help me and Danny know what it’s like to raise teenagers.”

I smile grimly at Martin putting the thought of him and Danny raising a child out my mind. They will be interesting parents to say the least.

“Okay well, I’ll be back Sunday morning, ring if you need anything I will come straight back.”

I mutter as Martin slams his car door head shaking. I scowl but pull out of his drive easily glad to be in a big enough car to feel safe on this long journey, his car was brand new so its was safe to feel that the car wouldn’t let me down.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“Stupid fucking thing!”

Kicking the wheel of Martins barely used BMW I begin to eat my words. I had driven for over an hour and was at least a half hour drive from Sienna. The car had stopped, just stopped on a road outside of the highway.

A phone call to Martin confirmed my fear it was his battery even though he was apologetic it still didn’t calm my anger down. I had put so much effort in to being brave enough to make this trip and now I would have to go home with out completing it.

“Ace?”

Looking up to see a lorry stopped behind Martins car I strain to see who called my name, raising my hand to shield my eyes from the head lights I recognize a thick set older frame.

“Carl?”

A smile forms on my lips, at least now I wont have to wait for a tow truck.

“Hey, don’t suppose I can grab a ride?”

I ask with a small smile Carl shakes his head with a laugh.

“Sure thing kiddo, want me to call a tow?”

I shake my head.

“All ready done that.”

I say following his towards the cab of his lorry and jumping in the air conditioned cab is a nice change from the sticky heat of a summers evening outside.

/\//\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Walking in to the bar I fling my jacket over my shoulders my face flustered with annoyance. Carl had only been able to drop me off at his depot, which meant I had to walk the next two hours just to get here. It would be another hour home.

“You’re not working tonight.”

Nate says with an eyebrow raised as I jump on the bar stool plonking my elbows on the bar.

“Jack on the rocks, double.”

I say with a slight whine Nate’s eyes widen.

“Shit gone down?”

He asks hurrying to get me my drink as I nod my head roughly.

“Car broke down two hours away from town, got lift to Beachside, walked.”

I say speaking in some sort of code, taking large sips of the whisky allowing the soft burn to control my throat.

“Did you hitchhike?”

I shook my head, wishing I had! I could have saved myself the fucking walk.

“Carl drove past on his way back from a delivery.”