Chap 3

While Callen and Anna were dancing, Deeks saw this as the perfect opportunity to sneak away to meet with his brunette soldier. And sure enough, she was waiting for him in the courtyard with a candle lit dinner.

'Wow, you put all this together in secret? Is cooking 1 of your specialties?' Deeks asked.

(Chuckle). 'No, it is not. This is actually part of my and a friend of mine's dinner. He won't mind.' Kensi replied.

'Well, let's eat!'

2 minutes later

'Wow! You army folks get good food!' Deeks said.

'Well, this kingdom has a rule that states that army folk must get good food for their meals, so that's nice. Other kingdoms are not so nice.' Kensi replied.

'I've heard. So, how are your army buddies? How is your boss?'

'Well, Jack and Hymie are doing okay. Sam is still a bit gruff, as he always is, but thankfully, neither have caught onto us yet.'

'Would it really be so bad if they knew we were dating though? Would save us all this time and stress of meeting in secret.' Deeks asked.

'Probably not, but I don't really feel like taking the chance that I won't be demoted or kicked out for dating a member of the King and Queen's staff.' Kensi replied.

'Aw, why would they ever consider kicking out a tough gal like you? I mean, you're pretty, but you're tough as nails. Anyone should be afraid of you!'

'Yeah, but it didn't stop Sam from firing Duggan, 1 of the toughest Sargeants I've ever known, because he got caught stealing stuff.'

'But that was theft! This is different.' Deeks pointed out. 'And last I checked, I didn't see any rules that said that 'there will be no dating royal staff members'.

'Still, Sam could easily make up a rule that says that dating someone on the staff is a fireable offense. In case you forgot, he's also in charge of the kingdom's army.' Kensi replied.

'Where does he find the time to do 2 jobs at once?'

'Because it's easy for him. Look, someday we'll have to tell people that we're dating, but I'd rather not have it be today.'

Looking disappointed. 'Well, okay. Can you at least give me a kiss goodbye? I should be getting back before Duke Getz starts looking for me.' Deeks said.

'Sure.'

And they kissed.

Eric decided to slip out into one of the hallways to catch some air, when Nell bumped into him.

'Oh! Oh my, I am so sorry! Did I ruin your suit?' Nell said, embarrassed.

'Nah, if anything, this drink strain adds something to this! (chuckle).' Eric replied.

'Again, I'm really sorry.'

'Don't be. From the way you were walking, it looks like you wanted to bump into me.'

'Okay maybe I did. But you're so handsome! And I've never seen a royal like you.' Nell said.

Eric blushed. 'Well, thanks! Never had a maid fawn over me like this.'

'Wow! That is one sparkly suit, dude!' A voice said.

'Whoa! Did that dog just talk?!' Eric exclaimed, looking at the small dog.

'Oh, that's Monty. He belongs to Deeks. As for why he talks, well. I'm just going to say 'accidental spell by a wizard.' Nell responded.

'Pretty cool! Hey listen, I feel the need to get some air, want to accompany me to the kitchen so you can refill those drinks?'

'Sure!'

As they were walking

'You're not married, right?' Nell asked.

'Nope. I had a girlfriend once, but it didn't last long. You?' Eric replied.

'If I was, would I be working here as a maid?'

'I don't know. Where I'm from, I've seen a few married women working as maids to make money.'

Granger and Hetty saw Callen and Anna were heading off to the courtyard.

'Well, I think it's time to turn in for the night.' Granger said.

'Yeah, I'm tired as well. Nate? Will you keep an eye on them for us?' Hetty asked.

'Yes madam.' Duke Nate Getz responded.

Out in the courtyard, Callen was showing Anna around.

'You have a pretty place.' Anna said.

'Yeah, I guess so.' Callen replied.

'You don't like it here?'

'It's nice, but when you've got a father who expects you to one day get married and have kids, it can be a bit smothering. Like, I want to do things on my own time, not when someone expects me to.'

'I get how you feel. My father doesn't say much on the marriage thing, but I'm sure he expects me to one day settle down with someone.' Anna said.

'And how's your mother feel?'

'She's been dead a few years.'

'Oh, I'm so sorry.' Callen said.

'Thank you.'

They eventually sat down next to the fountain.

'Anna, this has been 1 of the best nights I've had in such a long time. You've made me feel things that I haven't felt for anyone in a long time!' Callen said.

'I'm the same!'

They leaned into to kiss, when the clock struck midnight.

'Oh! Um, I really have to get going!' Anna said, then started to leave.

'Wait! Wait please!' Callen called out as she ran off. Then saw she left a shoe behind.

'Wait! You forgot your shoe!'

Callen ran after her, but couldn't catch her.

'Sir? What's the matter?' Nate asked.

'Find out where she's from. I need to see her again!'

'Yes sir!'