Eighteen

Mary's Point of View
I sat in my room trying to read my book, but I couldn't. No matter how many times I reread the page it was all mush. I'm getting really worried, I haven't received a letter from Francis in weeks. My door swung open and Charlotte came skipping through. "Mary I got a letter from Francis." She handed it to me. "Did you see any other letters?" I asked "One for Henri and Charles and one for Maman." She said "Oh" I said, I couldn't help but sound disappointed. "Can you read it please?" She asked "Um yes of course." I said, I opened up the letter and began reading.
Dearest Charlotte,
I do hope you have been behaving for Maman and your governess. I also hope you aren't giving too hard a time to your brothers. But I know you must be missing your favorite brother.
Charlotte giggled at that.
I saw Genevieve and her family today. She told me she misses you so much and can't wait to have her best friend back. Everything is going very well. Next time I see you you'll be greeted with your favorite chocolates and a new dress. I love you very much, don't ever forget that.
Your Brother,
Francis
It's sweet how much he loves his sister. I feel selfish because I know how happy this letter is making her but I feel saddened by it. "I wonder what color dress he is bringing me, probably pink he knows that is my favorite." She said "Probably, I hope you'll share some of those chocolates with me." I teased "When you marry Francis and come live with us in France we can have all the chocolate in the whole castle." She said "When I marry Francis?" I asked "Yes last week Maman read me a letter where he told me all about the ring he is having made for you in France." She said "What did he tell it looks like?" I blushed "He said the diamond is from Africa, that's where elephants live." She said "Yes, I know." I laughed, there was a knock at the door. "Come in." I said. My Father walked through the door. "Princess Charlotte, you look very lovely today." He said "Thank you King James." She smiled brightly. "May I have a moment with my daughter? I promise as soon as I'm done you can have her back." He smiled "Okay, bye Mary." She ran out "What's going on?" I asked "I got a letter from Francis a few weeks ago." He said "You did? What did it say?" I asked "He asked me for your hand in marriage, two pages of him confessing his love for you." He said "Oh and um what did you say?" I asked "I gave him my blessing. But I told him to give me time to speak to my daughter. But I want this to be your choice, I put too much pressure on you to get married. I won't make you marry anyone you don't want to." He said. "You gave him your blessing?" I asked "Yes, he said it was very important to him I approved of your relationship. No man can ever be worthy of you but Francis is as close as it can get." I went over and gave him a tight hug. "I love you Dad." I said "I love you Mary." He kissed the top of my head. "I want to marry Francis, I love him and he loves me." I said, I saw a tear slip down his face. "Are you crying?" I asked "No, no of course not." He quickly wiped his tear. "They've begun peace talks, the war will be over soon. So soon we will begin preparations to go to France. There he will formally propose to you and you two will get married." He said "How soon do you think it will be?" I asked "Very, I have no doubt you two will be married by summer." He said "I don't understand he said all this to you but he hasn't written to me for many weeks." I said "Yes I asked him to not write as to give you time to make a choice, but he requested I give you this once you come to a decision." He handed me a small box with a letter out of his pocket, I grabbed it from him. "He really wrote two pages confessing his love?" I smiled "Yes, don't let it get to your head." He joked "Can I have some privacy while I read this?" I asked "Yes, let me know if you need anything." He kissed my forehead, I nodded then he left. I almost ripped open the letter.
Mary,
I miss you greatly. Everything reminds me of you. Anytime something happens I think about how you would react to it. You're officially messing with my mind. Every night I lay in my tent wishing you were laying in my arms. Even though it's not exactly accommodations worthy of a Princess, I still want you here. I can't wait for you to be here in France, I want to show you all my favorite things. My most favorite thing being my bed. You'll love where we are getting married, the Notre Dame, it's the most beautiful church I've ever seen. And in no time the most beautiful girl I've ever seen will be walking down it's aisle to marry me. If you look in the box you'll find a pair of earrings, the brown jewels made me think of your eyes. I love you Mary. The mere thought of you is the only think getting me through this.
With all my love,
Francis