A Lifetime

[It's been a year since Marc has given any indication that he's alive. Maybe it's time to accept the fact that he's not coming home. Until he does.]
[Word Count: 1446]

The softness of the comforter tickled my skin lightly, only causing me to dig deeper into the wamness of my bed. I gripped the pillow under my hand and adjusted it so it better supported my neck.

A traveling hand trailed over my waist, pulling me snug against a large figure.

This was the best sleep I had gotten in a while. I hadn't been able to sleep this comfortable in a long time. Almost a whole year to be exact. And now, I was perfectly content in a warm bed with cool pillows, in a perfectly dimmed room, in the strong arms of the man I love.

Except I lived alone.

Scurrying out of bed as fast as I could, I threw the blankets off of me and jolted out of bed in a dazed dead, still have asleep from being suddenly raised from sleep.

In the dark I could see a silhouette stirring awake and moving closer to me.

"Stop! You stop right there! I'm going to call the cops!" I threatened, realizing that without a weapon in my hands, this interaction wasn't going to go as smooth as I hoped.

"No you won't..." The stranger murmured and my heart dropped to the floor.

I struggled to turn on the lamp that was sitting on my nightstand. Once the light from underneath the shade began to light up the room, I found myself staring at a ghost.

"...Marc?" I whimpered, not believing for an instance that he was before me. This was another hallucination, another memory, taunting me with the better days of the past.

"Yeah, baby. It's me." He responded, standing up from the bed. He was shirtless, just as he normally would be when we turned in for the night.

"No. No. You're not real. Go away." I pleaded the apparition, begging for the torture to end.

Marc was dead. He was off somewhere in the world, and hadn't contacted me in over a year. That was unlike Marc. He would let me know if he was okay, even if he didn't tell me where he was.

Marc's eyebrows furrowed, "I am real, (Y/N). I'm back home." He responded, closing the distance between us. His hand tenderly grasped my neck, angling my face for a kiss. In an instant, he had parted my lips, using his tongue to deepen our connection.

I pushed him away forcefully, and he backed up, almost offended. "You don't want to kiss me?" He questioned in a tone that suggested irritation.

"I...thought you were dead, you asshole!" I left him by the bed, bolting for the bathroom where I could separate myself from him.

As much as I craved his return to me, I desired nothing more than to be distanced from him right now.

"No, don't run away, come back here, baby." His approaching footsteps were going to outmatch mine, so I locked the door behind me as fast as I could. He knocked on the door. "Open up, (Y/N)...please?"

I stared at the door, but backed up to the sink until it touched my waist. A sob escaped me, the grief of the last year washing over me all over again. It took me months to accept that he might never call again. That he might never walk through the door. That we would never share a bed or an evening together ever again.

"Look, I'm sorry...I...please let me explain!" Marc called from outside the door. I ignored him, turning towards the mirror and leaning my elbows onto the porcelain design.

The pain, the grief, the nightmares, the days spent in anger and sadness and despair collapsed on me. My hands rested in my hair, my fingers curling and tugging on my scalp. My breaths were interrupted and limited as I poured out my soul in racking sobs.

Marc's chest pressed against my back and his hands wrapped around me in a bear hug, trapping me within his arms. "Please don't cry...I hate seeing my babygirl cry..." He muttered into my ear.

"You-you don't understand the hell I've been through, Marc. I've been dying without you." I admitted, still furious that he was gone, but relived that he had returned.

"I know, (Y/N), you have every right to be upset." He comforted me by leaning down and kissing my cheek. "I was trying to protect you. If I had made contact with you, then..." His countenance fell, telling me that while he was away, I was truly the one in danger.

Marc removed his arms and softly spun me around to face him. He cautiously cradled my face in both hands, studying every inch of my face under scrutiny. "You've lost a lot of weight..." He muttered, carefully wiping the tears from my under my eyes.

Of course, it's not easy to care for oneself believing that your other half had died a world away.

"And you need a haircut." I retorted, bringing my hands to his own face, noticing that his hair was a bit longer than I remembered. I softly tugged at his frizzed curls, twisting them around my fingers.

"I'm sorry, deeply and truly. I promise to not leave you like that again." With a sigh, he leaned in and touched his forehead with mine. It was always intimate contact like this that strengthened my love for Marc.

"If you do that again, I will kill you myself." I bantered, causing him to chuckle deeply and peck my nose.

"You're still feisty." He declared, sliding a hand down to my hip, gripping it with calloused fingers.

"And you're still an ass." I whispered in his head, smiling when he laughed once more. How I missed his laugh, his scent, the way he would always pull me in close every chance that he got, how his hair would dangle in my face when we were snuggling under the sheets.

Now that he had returned to me, I knew that I was falling in love all over again.

"I can make it up to you. I will. If it takes me a lifetime, I'll do it." He promised, kissing my lips before pulling away.

I grabbed the back of his neck and pulled him back in. Our lips, I always told him, we're designed for each other. They fit perfectly and moved in sync. Our bodies were molded to always fit close against the other, a divine ordination that we were not created to love anyone else.

His panting mouth left mine and moved down to my jaw, trailing to my ear, and finally down to my neck. In one move, Marc swiftly gripped my thighs and situated me onto the bathroom sink.

I pulled at his hair, remembering how moments like these would end up.

"Wait...stop, Marc..." I huffed, removing my hands from his curls.

He immediately responded, ceasing his rampant desire to continue. "What, what's wrong?" He asked, worried and concerned that he had been too rough.

"I'm... I'm going to need time to adjust. With you being back and all. With you gone, I kinda stopped living. Now that you're here, I have to remember how to live again."

He nodded in understanding, biting his lip in thought. "Okay...whatever you need. I'll be right here."

I reached my hands under his toned arms and held onto him tightly, fearing that this was just a dream and he would soon disappear once again. "I love you, Marc." I buried my face into his chest. "More than you realize."

"(Y/N)..." He warned, feeling his chest become dampened with tears. "I'm not leaving you again, okay?" He kissed my forehead lovingly. "I love you more than life, my sweet girl."

Marc gently picked me up from the sink, and carried me back to our bed, placing me on the mattress and bringing the covers over my legs.

He crawled in after me and beneath the blankets, situating himself behind me, leaving no room in between us. Marc's arm protectively covered my waist while his other went under the pillow I was laying on.

"I will make the lost time up to you. I swear." He breathed into my ear and laid his cheek on top of mine.

"You have a whole lifetime to try." I responded, causing him to chuckle and rub light circles into my hip, causing me to continue in the best sleep that I had experienced in a year.