10. CONFLICTED

Tunmise sat straight, struggling to keep herself awake. She was dozing off at intervals as the ICT teacher's monotonous voice resonated in the class. She glanced around, noticing that majority of her classmates had their heads on their desks, sleeping. While others were busy copying the note he was dictating.

While others were busy, either sleeping or copying their notes, Vivian Adepero, the set's parrot, was talking to a dozing Amy.

Alex's reassuring voice kept ringing in Tunmise's head. He had told her that they'd handle the matter during the short break. He had calmed her down. She patiently waited for the remaining 5 minutes to be over, but for some reason, the time was rather slow.

Tunmise was tired of trying and failing miserably to keep herself awake and sitting straight. She placed her head on her desk, joining the rest of Class D in their trip to lala land.

A few minutes had passed by when Mr Maxwell suddenly hit the table in front of him, startling everyone.

"SS2 SCIENCE, STAND!" His voice resounded.

"What kind of class is this? That a teacher would walk into your class and more than half of the students there would use that period as their sleeping time? Am I that boring? No, answer me, am I that boring?"

Tunmise was tempted to say yes, because that was the truth.

"And that undomesticated fowl still has the gods to sleep while I told everyone to stand!" He said referring to Jessica. Forthwith, he threw his marker at her.

"He said we should stand." Kasarachi, her minion, whispered after the marker had woken her up.

The heavy glare Jessica gave Kasarachi made her regret why she even opened her mouth in the first place.

"So what you all are trying to tell me is that you all understand this topic? Let me set it in your exam and any of you fails it. Then you will know my true colour."

"As per you be chameleon ni." Someone commented with a low tune.

"In fact all of you sit. Except you Jessica. What is a logic gate?" He asked, watching her carefully as he sat on the desk in front of him with one foot balancing his posture on the ground.

"Sir, it is... A logic gate is... Em... A lo... A logic gate... Is a gate that..."

"Just look at you. No just take a look at yourself." He went on and on, ranting about God knows what.

They were all happy when the sound of the bell was heard.

♧     ♧     ♧

"No na, just take a look at yourself. Such a pitiful creature." Abimbola said to the girl who had tears in her eyes.

"See o Abim. We haven't even started and the babe is already crying. Wonders shall never end." Vanessa said, clapping her hands dramatically.

"Don't mind this oloriburuku. Cry o, cry well."

"I sha don't want her to cry abeg. It'll irritate me. If you make me vex now, I'll bring something to put those crocodile tears and I'll shove them down your throat. You don't know who you're messing with. You think you can just wake up one morning and tarnish somebody's image abi?"

"You did not see any other person. It was Sewa. My own Adesewa that you see to talk about like that. Hehe." Abim laughed bitterly.

"When you opened that mouth of yours to spew rubbish, you didn't think of the consequences."

Just then, the bell was heard.

As if on cue, Sewa, Ini, Timi, Tunmise, Kelechi and Alex had entered the class.