CHAPTER TEN: THINK ABOUT IT

THREE MONTHS LATER

Gemma throws a piece of popcorn up in the air, and I attempt to catch it in my mouth. My phone dings at the same time, causing the popcorn to hit me in the eye.

I point a finger in the air. "Doesn't count."

Gemma rolls her eyes as she turns back to her mirror. "You know it does. Stop denying my popcorn skills, okay?"

I reach across her bed for my phone. "You know, we could test that if you stayed home tonight."

She laughs. "Yeah, um, no. Coffee shop girl is my destiny."

"You've made eye contact like.. Six times tops." I grab my phone before looking back at her. "Hardly even fate."

"I'm going to marry that girl, y/n. Mark my words." Gemma stands from her desk and walks to her closet.

"If you're going to marry her in the future, then who cares about a first date?" I roll over to face her. "Just stay home."

She ignores my question by holding up two different shirts. Actually, they're the same shirt in different colors. Gemma found one style of shirt that makes her boobs look good, and she legitimately ordered every color. And she wonders why we can't pay rent some months.

"The black one," I say before continuing my pout. "I don't want to be alone tonight."

Gemma takes the black shirt off the hanger and heads towards the bathroom, yelling to keep the conversation. "No offense, but I don't want that to be my problem tonight."

"Well, I don't want it to be my problem either."

My phone dings again, and Gemma sticks her head out the bathroom door. "Who's that?"

I glance down and am actually surprised to see Clay texted me. "Uhh some guy I met a couple months ago."

Her brows furrow, already thinking of some way to twist the truth. "What does he want?"

I read the text. "Help with some code."

Gemma widens her eyes. "What's that a secret word for? Who is this guy?"

"It's a code word for actual programming, idiot." I set the phone down and get up from the bed. "You think about things too much."

Gemma closes the bathroom door completely and continues changing. "And you don't think about things enough."

I laugh. "That doesn't even make sense, Gemma."

I walk into the kitchen and grab my water bottle. Gemma follows once she's ready and does a spin.

"What do we think?" she asks with a small smile.

"Coffee shop girl has no choice but to marry you by tomorrow," I say sarcastically.

Gemma rolls her eyes. "Please, marriage is a second date kind of thing, okay?" She reaches for her purse from a hook and looks back to me. "Are you going to be okay?"

"Yes, I, a twenty-something year old, will last the night alone."

"Okay good." Gemma's already opening the front door and leaving. "Seriously, hang out with coder-guy. He sounds nerdy, but like in a hot way. Bye!"

I roll my eyes. Gemma is something of a hopeless romantic. She falls in love with every stranger she meets in a grocery store, mail room, book store, or in this case, a coffee shop.

I hear my phone ring, and I go to retrieve it. My brows furrow when I see it's Clay calling. We've only ever texted that one night, and the only reason I know what his voice sounds like is from that night I snuck out of his house and overheard his and Nick's conversation.