CHAPTER FIFTEEN: GEORGE

"No, George couldn't." Clay wheezes as he shakes his head.

"I know but he said he could." Nick crosses his arms. "I'd take him out."

Nick got back with our food about an hour ago. We're sitting around their table with our empty plates, determining if George could beat up Nick.

"I mean, give the guy a chance," I try to say.

I get two stares back at me, and I've realized that there's no hope for George.

"Have you met George yet?" Nick asks even though he knows the answer.

"You need to meet George," Clay says before I get the chance to respond. Clay is already standing up and walking to his room. "I'm getting my phone."

Nick pulls his own phone out and whispers, "Sucker."

He dials the phone and before I'm even able to process all of this, George is on the phone.

"What do you want?" An accented voice asks through the phone.

"George!" Nick says, "Clay and I wanted you to meet y/. Our developer."

"Hi y/n," George mumbles. "Are you okay?"

"What?" I laugh at the question. "Yeah, I'm okay."

"You're just in a house with... um, Nick." George hesitates on the name. "I had to check in."

"They're fine." Nick rolls his eyes but smiles right after.

"Where's Clay?" George asks.

"He's getting his phone." Nick leans his head on his hand as he talks to the phone.

As if on cue, Clay walks out of his room. "Okay, I got the phone. Now we can-"

Nick looks up from how Clay stopped mid-sentence. "What?"

"You called him? Without me? I wanted to see their first interaction." Clay rolls his eyes dramatically.

"It's barely even happened yet." Nick sighs before shoving the phone in my hands. "There. Talk to each other."

"Leave it on speaker," Clay chimes in.

"Uh, hello?" I say as if testing it out.

"Hello."

"How are you?" I ask awkwardly, looking at the two excited grown men from the other side of the table.

"I'm good." George laughs. "Are they staring?"

I nod even though he can't see me. "Mhm."

"How's the code going, y/n?" George asks. I'm assuming to make this less awkward.

"It's going," I say, "I'm stuck on one part."

I hear some shuffling. "Send it over, and I'll look at it."

I raise my brows towards the other two guys, asking if it's okay. They both nod enthusiastically.

"Let me walk back to the computer," I say before getting up from the table.

I stay focused ahead as I walk, but I can sense Nick and Clay following me. I turn around when I reach Nick's room.

"Little privacy please?" I ask. "This is important for your jobs."

I laugh when I close the door. I can hear a chuckle from the phone as I take it off of the speaker and up to my ear.

"Okay, I'm sending the code now," I say.

"Got it." George clicks a couple times and is quiet for a bit as he scans the code. "Oh, I can do this real quick. Don't even worry about it."

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Yeah, it's my section anyways." A clicking sounds comes from the phone as he starts to work.

I lean back in my chair. "Oh, well thank you."

He hums a response but is quiet for a couple moments. I jump a little when he finally talks again.

"Do you even know what this is for?" he asks.

I laugh. "Nope."

George scoffs. "Did they say I was the deciding factor?"

"Yeah, I thought they wanted to wait till after you moved." I mess with a pencil on Nick's desk.

"I swear he thinks other people knowing is going to deflower himself," George mumbles.

"What was that?"

"Nothing." George clears his throat. "So do you do coding for fun?"

"Yeah." I nod even though he won't see. "I take a couple jobs here and there, but I want to design and upkeep some websites entirely one day."

"For small businesses?"

"Mhm." I hum. "I don't think I'm there for that much commitment yet but one day I want to be."

"I saw what you did for Nick's code," George says, "I think you can do it."

I smile at this. "Thank you, George."

"Anytime." He's quiet once again before he decides to say something right. "I think I agree with Clay; I'm going to like having you around."

My grin only grows. They've talked about me staying around even after we code.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

i am literally so sick rn but i wanted to give you guys something.. so sorry for such a delay between chapters!

hope you enjoy! have a good day :)