The Beginning

Lilly was pissed. Why? Because of Killian Vixon, son of Hyperion. He disappeared several months ago and had still not decided to show up, which was driving Lilly crazy.

They'd just woken up one day and he was gone from his bed. No sign of a kidnapping, no sign of a struggle. Just...gone.

And as if it weren't enough, the gods chose to close Olympus to the demigods, cutting themselves off from the demigods completely. Even Hades had shut himself in his palace, allowing Nico and Bianca into the underworld but not seeing them. While it was celebrated that Dionysus had vanished from Camp Half-Blood, it only proved to further aggravate Lilly who was looking for answers.

It didn't help that Michael and Percy were being as unhelpful as possible. Every time she asked them about where he could've gone, they clammed shut. Wouldn't answer anything, not even for Lee or Silena.

After another day of fruitless efforts by her, Lee, and Silena in researching Killian's disappearance, Lilly stormed their house and threw herself on the bed. She cried into his pillow, trying to find his scent, but after several months it had left, replaced by Lilly's instead. Lilly cried until her breathing shallowed and she fell into a deep sleep.

And of course, she dreamed. You couldn't be a demigod and not have weirdly prophetic dreams.

In her dream, she was in a golden car, its roof down and the Beach Boys playing from the radio, driving at such high speeds Lilly was sure she'd fly from the car as soon as the break was touched. A look over the edge of the car told her that she was in the sky. She gripped the door when she saw the ground miles and miles away.

"You're only dreaming, Lilly," said a voice from her other side. She whirled around and found Apollo grinning at her. His blond hair was waving in the wind and sunglasses covered his eyes. "Welcome to the sun chariot." He gestured to the car. "My hot rod. Kicks ass at mileage."

"Apollo, why am I here?" Lilly asked.

"Well, someone needs to be told the news," Apollo said as if it were obvious.

"What news?" Lilly asked when he didn't elaborate.

"You need to head to the Grand Canyon tomorrow," Apollo told her. "The boy with one shoe will be the key to helping you find Killian again."

"Great!" Lilly smiled as hope filled her chest. This was the first real lead she had.

"Hold on, I'm not done," Apollo said, waving his hand at her. "Listen, I know none of us like her, but Hera is missing. She needs to be saved."

"Why don't you gods go save her?"

"We don't know where she is. She's shielded from our sight. Zeus has ordered my sister and I to look for her, but there's only so much we can do. If you find and save Hera with the boy with one shoe, you'll find Killian."

"Why will he have one shoe?"

Apollo waved off her question. "Before you go, I must warn you: the road will be long and hard. The Prophecy of Seven is starting. You will play a crucial part in it, Lilly. You and Killian. Remember that. Oh, and take my daughter-in-law with you when you go."

"What, why?" Lilly asked, but the dream was fading. Apollo waved goodbye, blinding her with his too-white teeth, and she woke up.

She sat up immediately, butting heads with someone.

"Ow!" Lilly and the kid exclaimed at the same time.

"What was that for, Lilly?" Connor Stoll asked. He was holding his nose and grimacing in pain. "I was just going to wake you up. It's breakfast."