Chapter 7: Stay this way

Sipping on his soda, Ohm couldn't help but shake his head at Nanon's foolishness. At the same time, he admired him for his undying loyalty. 

When he first met Nanon, he thought he was a pushover. Later on, he realized that he was a total pushover, especially when it came to Chimon. He actually had no intention of befriending him, since their personalities were like the total opposite. There were a lot of things they couldn't agree upon, which often led them to arguments. 

Nevertheless, the way Nanon looked at his best friend had picked his interest and, whether it's a pity or others, it made him approach Nanon. Then as if it wasn't enough, he just found himself trying to protect him.

Yes, protect him. And he couldn't understand why.

Honestly, Ohm was supposed to not care. He had a lot of friends, and had seen them battling for the 'love' of their lives. Usually, he would be on the sideline, watching. He didn't even bother to give advice since most of them never considered it so why wasted his time? He would listen, then forget, then move on with his own life. 

He had been into different relationships, but never once had made him serious to the point of crying over a break up. It was the main reason why his 'lovers' left him, yet still he just really did not care. People come and go. Instead of investing in fleeting emotions, Ohm would rather just go with the flow, and when it ended, it ended. No need to wallow over those events. 

If the person liked him, he liked that person, too. If that person stopped liking him, then he would stop liking him, too. As easy as that. It was the reason why he became known as a carefree person. 

So when this desire to protect this pushover Nanon arose within him, he was conflicted. 

Why would he do it for someone he barely knew? Perhaps, it’s because Nanon looked so pathetic with the way he could only stare at Chimon with those loving eyes. Perhaps, it's the way he smiled so lovingly yet the other person could barely notice it. Or perhaps, it's the way he tried so hard to hide his feelings, yet it spilled out with his every action. Unfortunately, the subject of his affection barely noticed it. Hence, being unable to take it any longer, Ohm decided to stay as if his presence would change the fact that Nanon could only have an unrequited love. 

Now, it's been seven years since they’d met. Nanon often complained about being frustrated with Chimon, not realizing that he was also the same for Ohm. Sometimes, he could only brush him off by telling some jokes, yet at the end of the day, Ohm would try to cheer him up, and temporarily divert his attention to other things. 

…Something Ohm had never done to any of his past relationships. 

If Ohm would be honest, even if only to himself, his initial interest and curiosity might have bloomed into deeper feelings. If not, then why the hell would he choose to stay beside this pushover and witness him run around again? 

Looking at Nanon immersing himself in planning to court his best friend, something within Ohm seemed to itch, if only he could knock the sense out of this man. But since he couldn't do it, he was thinking of ways to lessen Nanon's pain if ever he would get rejected.

Why did he even bother? Again, he was trying to figure it out himself.

"If I couldn't reach Chimon, it's most probably the same with Pluem, too. They shouldn’t meet again. He's the biggest bane to my plan," Nanon muttered while nibbling on his right thumb. "It's good that Chim is confused, right? It means I have hope."

He's not actually talking to Ohm, but more on to himself. His way of self reassuring.

Ohm sighed for the nth time. Whatever he said at this point, he knew that Nanon would never listen, especially now that he had glimpsed a tiny bit of hope.