Just Another Murderer

TW: eye injury, blood.

Even with Trigger, no one stood a chance against Lady Aegis. Quirks were useless, simply ricocheting off the hero's barrier and back into her attackers' faces. She cut through the mob with the police close behind her. 

It was a massacre, a perfect distraction too.

"I'm going after Instar. I won't need your help, intern." Yuta hovered over the clashing wave of police and Trigger users.

"After I help Sensei, I'm beating you up again." Yuta's eardrums ruptured as she yelled through her earpiece. "You've been a pain in my ass all day."

"I haven't touched your—"

"It wasn't literal!"

Yuta flinched again. Why was she so confusing? Her anger didn't make sense either. It was safer for him to go alone. Instar was dangerous.

"Haizaki-kun, I'm granting you permission to pursue the mission target." Harui's voice came through his earpiece. "If there's any insubordination from you, you'll be treated as a villain and dealt with as such." 

Too busy dodging the people Lady Aegis ragdolled around the room, and the mob's grasping hands as Yuta hovered over them, he didn't respond. Touching down, he pushed through the stage's exit door. 

Yuta scoured the backstage hallway, kicking open the unlocked doors for any sign of the Trigger sellers. Nothing, no one in sight either. Pushing through another door, the night's air chilled his face. The smile of the villain staring at him felt colder.

A group of Instar's guards loaded Trigger cases into the back of a box truck. They stopped in place. "A hero?"

"Not quite, so no need to kill him." Instar stepped into the back of the truck. "Forget the Trigger. It's not needed. Keep him busy."

With the number of butterflies covering clinging to her and the inside of the truck, she could've killed him. Why waste time stalling?

The truck's engine started. Harui's warning didn't matter. There was no chance he'd let her get away.

Instar's butterflies took flight the second he did. A wave of the razor-winged pests cut his path short.

"So eager for a fight. You're an act too early, darling." Instar gave a mock bow. Her guards closed the back doors before the truck pulled off.

"You heard her. Don't kill him. I think he's the one boss wants to–" The guard's butterfly mask broke in half as Yuta's knee connected with his forehead.

A bit hasty on his part.

"Sorry, what was that?" He slapped the man's face. Out cold. The one time a D-rate criminal said anything interesting, he knocked him out. Great.

"Never said we couldn't hurt him." A guard trusted a bamboo spear at him. The tip grazed Yuta's shoulder, impalement avoided by a swift sidestep.

Another thrust ripped his jacket. A centimeter closer and the bamboo would've split his side open. Yuta hovered high enough to flip over her shoulder. Gripping the back of her collar, he lifted then dropped her onto another guard below. "Heavy."

Carrying a practice dummy was nowhere near as straining. A deep breath didn't get rid of the feeling. Yuta watched the truck full of Trigger pull away from the building and down the street.

"Harui, they're moving the Trigger in a truck. I'm gonna follow 'em." Hasty yet again. He wasn't going anywhere. Getting yanked out of the air made sure of that. Crashing against the ground, he let out a choked gasp for the air that got knocked out of his lungs.