Something You'll Regret

Was it gullibility or stupidity? One of the two, or a combination of them, led Yuta to foolishly think Ionic would be any help. The hero said he'd explain everything. Well, that was a lie. Sure, he helped confirm his suspicions regarding the prison break, but conveniently left out minor details.

The prisoners armed themselves with some of the weapons and support gear they managed to escape with at Riven's agency. How would they ever manage to get that stuff in? No response from him.

If the prison's security system was compromised, wouldn't they need someone in the actual facility to take it down beforehand? Injured arm in a sling, Ionic complained about it until the conversation was thoroughly derailed.

Who was Alter? Even assuming they were just another one of Pariah's heads, they'd attempt a breakout just to save them? What after? That'd guarantee they'd be hunted throughout Japan until caught. Whoever they were, the benefit must've outweighed the risk of saving them.

He didn't respond when Yuta brought the name up. No Segues. No pretending not to hear. No dismissal of the question.

There wasn't a chance Takara didn't notice all of the deflection. She didn't say anything though. Strange to say the least when they were discussing an active prison break. The silence continued as they entered the HPSC office.

Back when Harui initially accepted his deal to help, He'd spent quite some time being shepherded around the building. The perpetual noise of footsteps, the beeping of security scanners, and messages on the intercom, always left him disoriented. Time away from it all only made the experience worse.

Despite all the noise and people passing through, it was a controlled type of chaos. It felt like every few feet there was a security guard or checkpoint to go through. Yuta wouldn't be surprised if he needed some sorta authorization to breathe with how many safeguards were in place.

Safeguards that Ionic completely ignored.

"Don't bother logging them. They're both with me." Was all he gave the entrance's security. Yuta watched them put down their hand-held metal detectors and go right back to chatting amongst themselves.

He'd seen enough heroes pass through the building before to know that even pros needed to show some ID to get past. Even Harui needed to sign in before being let through. Yet another thing to add to the ever-growing list of questions he had for the hero. Like the others, it'd have to wait.

Ionic stopped in front of a door with two guards standing on either side of it. He put a finger to his lips. "Make sure to use your inside voices, kids. Misaki will put my other arm in a sling too if you don't."

That made him wanna do the opposite. He refrained from the idea after seeing some of the faces on the other side of the door. A dozen or so heroes sat around the glass table in the middle of the room. All of them were focused on Harui who stood next to the lit up display on the wall and was giving some sort of briefing.

The glow from the display was the only form of light in the room. Yuta didn't believe his eyes at first because of it. Some of the heroes there... Someone like him had no right being anywhere near them. That fact only made Ionic bringing them there more puzzling, but that could be ignored for the moment.

Crimson feathers attracted his attention first. The man—kid they belong to didn't look much older than Yuta was. Some hotshot he'd heard about in passing on the news. It wasn't every day that a new hero skyrocketed to a top rank. The guy had the nerve to push Aegis to eleventh. That was unforgivable.

On that note, Yuta wasn't expecting to see his homeroom teacher or the woman sitting next to her. He immediately recognized her by the streaks of pink mixed with her dark blue hair, and by the visor over her right eye.