Holding Back

We're all killers here.

It wasn't worth responding to. Another lie. Another attempt to screw with him. Trying to figure Ionic out was a pointless endeavor, yet Yuta couldn't stop himself. Why bother making a claim like that?

Nagant... With the nature of her Quirk, and after seeing the effect of it up close, he didn't doubt her hands were a bit bloody. There was still blood on his goggles from when he failed to wipe it all off.

Aegis? The woman came across more like a gentle giant, albeit one that sometimes forgot her own strength. The idea of her killing anyone was less easy to swallow.

As brash and combative as the big-headed sidekick was, Takara wasn't like him. Yuta couldn't and wouldn't imagine it. Their situations were completely different. "You lie as easily as you breathe."

There was one question that lingered in his mind, though. Why would Takara be allowed to help with the mission then? She'd be a liability if she couldn't bring herself to.... No, he wouldn't think about it anymore. Ionic was just toying with him again. Idiot.

"I don't get why you don't trust me." Yuta would laugh in his face if it weren't for the gun-toting prisoners at the end of the hallway. Ionic pulled him back around the corner.

This guy. The sheer audacity. Pushing him off, he waited for the chorus of footsteps to become a distant echo. "Maybe it has something to do with you admitting you're a villain and my enemy."

"I said those were half-truths, didn't I? I think I've only lied to you once or twice."

Great, so he was only half a villain and kinda-sorta-not his enemy. More of his typical nonsense. "Like when you said you knew my parents? Or how about when you said you weren't going to kill that woman at Riven's agency?"

"Guessed one of the lies right." A few seconds passed. No clarification. Shifty idiot couldn't give a straight answer to save his life.

He couldn't think much about it past the smell of death that made his stomach twist. It became stronger the further they went. Blood. It wasn't fresh. He tasted the acrid scent in the air.

The specks of red dotting the walls and floor were the only warning he got before he caught sight of the bodies ahead of them. Three of them. Closer, the faces of the prison guards were just as unrecognizable as the ones on their blood-coated IDs.

Yuta bit his finger as he looked over the dozens of bone shards protruding from their flesh. You've seen worse. Keep going.

Ionic got on one knee next to a body sticking halfway out of a doorway. They weren't mutilated like the others, less pale too. He held his fingers to their neck for a moment before shaking his head. "I meant what I said. No one here is going to hold back. Only telling you so you might take things seriously."

Said the clown. He was acting carefree even as they dropped down into the prison. Ionic was the absolute last person that should've been telling him to take things seriously. "Meaning?"

"Misaki wanted to keep you in the dark, keep things vague in case you got scared off. I know that won't happen. Our target's Alter, Pariah's leader. We're going to kill her before she has a chance to escape Styx." Standing up, he looked at him with a blank face. "Unless you want to risk even more people dying, you're gonna use your Quirk when it comes down to it. I know you held back on Instar and Riven. That won't cut it. I need you to turn Alter to ash."

Yuta chewed on a nail. First Instar, then him? Neither of them should've known about his Quirk. He couldn't dismiss Ionic like he did with her. What he said was way too specific. "You don't know what you're talking about."