Lethal Intent

The highway settled down over time, but his thoughts couldn't.

All the wounds Instar gave him were temporary. Most likely. The paramedics that arrived couldn't do much besides clean his eye, slap some gauze over it, and give him a few pain meds. They had their hands full with Instar's degenerate followers.

Yuta wasn't looking forward to a hospital visit, but It wasn't anything he couldn't get over. Getting over what Instar said to him wouldn't be so easy.

He wanted to dismiss everything Instar said as nonsensical, Trigger-fueled ramblings. That was too inaccurate to be true. Instar, as deranged as she was, wasn't as manic as any of the other Trigger users he'd fought.

She knew exactly what she was saying, and exactly what he'd done. Between processing that, and the butterfly bits covering his clothes, he felt sick.

Harui snapped in front of his face. "Pay attention. Magnetite told me she saw you talking to Instar. Explain." Laptop resting on the hood of her car, fingers hovered over the keys.

Annoying. Why'd she tell Harui? The sidekick put him in a bad spot. It was probably karma for upsetting her earlier.

Fair enough.

Yuta blinked a few times. It was near impossible to organize his thoughts. The constant red and blue flashing of the police left his head dazed.

"She knew about my Quirk."

"The one you refuse to disclose to me?" Harui's eyes lingered on him. "Did you use it?"

"If I did then she'd be dead."

"And you'd be arrested."

"That's why she's alive."

Did Instar even want to be alive? All of her prying gave him an excuse to get rid of her. The only thing that saved her was Takara's interruption. What exactly was her plan if he used his Quirk? 

Going by her actions, Yuta wasn't sure if she cared about escaping either. Instar wasn't secretive about her followers or her rally. It was only a matter of time before they were all arrested. They might as well have just turned themselves in to save time.

What was she hoping to accomplish?

Another snap got him to focus again. "What else did she say to you? Be honest, or I'll know." Harui pointed to one of her red eyes.

What an annoying Quirk she had. Why'd she automatically assume he'd lie or hide something?

Yuta ignored the way his heart raced when he saw Harui waiting for him. Talking to her about his parents made him nauseous. "She... knew about my parents, knew about what happened to them too."

"Taking into account the background of your parents, that'd line up."

There it was.

Clenching his fists, he felt the small cuts in his hand reopen. "Screw off. Just because they used Trigger, doesn't mean they were involved with Instar."

Staring at him for a moment, she shook her head before typing something on her laptop. "Look at this before you throw a tantrum. These are the people we arrested at the club."

Rows of photos and associated names filled the page. He almost missed the pattern hidden in the information overload. It wasn't a constant, but a good chunk of them were listed as former heroes.

Like his parents.

Oh.

Yuta wouldn't apologize. "Do you think she's recruiting heroes on purpose?"