Carlos

Questions, after questions, after questions. Bruno had arrived around 6 am to the casita. Mirabel had woken up early to get started on chores. Despite Bruno being careful to not make a sound or be seen walking inside so late or rather early at this point, Mirabel still caught him.

"Tio Bruno?"

Bruno jumps at the sound of his niece upon stepping foot in the house. "Ay Dios, you scared me!" He breathes out.

"Sorry tio," she walks over to him. "But why are you up so early and where were you?"

"I- uh couldn't sleep," Bruno said lazily as if dismissing the question. "so I went for a stroll."

"It's 6 am," Mirabel raised an eyebrow not buying it. "You couldn't sleep that long? What time did you go out?"

"Umm I don't remember, Mirabel." Bruno shook his head. "I'm going to go rest."

"Rest?" She continues. "What were you doing on your stroll?"

"Nada!" Bruno snapped startling his niece. He lets out a breath before apologizing. "I'm sorry. I just need to-"

"Did you have a vision?"

"No I-"

"Bruno had a vision?" Peppa walked in with a cloud over her head. "Was it bad?"

"No I-"

"I heard something about a vision," Dolores entered the room. "Que paso, tio?"

"There's no vision," Bruno protested.

"That's what you said last time," chimed in Camilo.

"Since when do you wake up this early?" Bruno was now growing irritated.

"Eh never," Camilo shrugged. "but it seems like you're hiding something."

"I'm not hiding anything!"

"That's what a troubled person would say." Mirabel frowns. "Tio just tell us-"

"No pasa nada! (Nothing is wrong)" Bruno raised his voice causing everyone to be quiet. "No vision, nothing wrong, nothing!"

Everyone stared at the man who never really had outbursts like this. It only made them more suspicious. Bruno stomps away making his way up to his door, slamming it behind him.

"I'll find out what's his problem," Dolores whispered before squeaking.

*

You had a busy day ahead of you. Not only were you tired from barely getting sleep after your shift but you were low on food. You needed to go out to buy some if you wanted energy to do your job later on, even if you could only afford arepas. You hated walking around town. People always stared at you judging your every move. You were an outcast even before turning of age as everyone in your side of town knew you were an orphan who had grown up with your abusive uncle. Everyone liked your uncle despite them knowing he was hurting you. Still if they knew the level of abuse he would cause to you then maybe their opinions would be different. Or not. You would never really know. He was verbally and physically abusive. Once you turned 15 it got worst. Much worst. He began touching you in places you weren't supposed to be touched especially by another family member. The touching escalated to kissing your neck and thighs, then to revealing himself, and finally the most dreadful. Every time you remembered that night you could feel your chest squeeze preventing you from breathing. It was only once had he done this to you when he had arrived home drunk from a night out with his friends. You were 16 when it happened and it completely destroyed your trust and view on men. That night your uncle did what he pleased with you, but it never happened again as he left the morning after and never returned. Probably due to guilt or fear of being caught. Regardless of the reason everyone blamed you for his disappearance. You were left hurt and alone in a world where everyone hated you.