The Box Note

Tuesday. Kiara had mixed feelings about this day, because firstly there had been a flash flood the day before so today was the first day of school for the week, secondly she had basketball practice that day, but today was also the day she would get to see Vitani. "Miss Kiara, please pay attention!" Kiara had been staring into space and thinking about Vitani instead of her algebra. "Yes Mrs Jasiri." Kiara said and bent lower over her work.

   Kiara was walking out of the basketball court when she saw a familiar face. "Hey, Kovu!" Kiara called to the dark lion.

"Oh, hey Kiara!" Kovu said, running over to her. "How was basketball practice?" He asked. "Pretty good." Kiara said. "If you have some spare time will you come over to my house?" She added. "I have something cool to tell you." "Sure." He said. "My afternoon is free."

   "That's so cool!" Kovu said. It was late in the afternoon and Kiara and Kovu were sipping apple cider and talking about Vitani. "I wish I had someone to sneak out at night with." He added, taking another swig of cider. "Let's do that some time." Kiara joked. Kovu laughed. DING DONG. The doorbell rang. "That would be my dad." Kovu said, picking up his bag and hugging Kiara goodbye. "Catch ya later, big guy!" Kiara called after him as he waved and shut the door. Kiara checked her watch. 5:30. It was almost time for... "Kiara, come downstairs! Dinner time!" Nala called up from the bottom of the stairs. Just on cue. Kiara thought. "Coming, Mom!" She called and left the room.

   Kiara collapsed onto her bed at 10:30. She and her parents had eaten pizza and watched a movie before bed, and Kiara was quite tired. But tonight she was going out with Vitani.

   About half an hour later Kiara crept out of the house and around to the front. She spied something in the flower bed. It was a very small box with a note taped to it. The note read:

Dear Sunshine,
  I am sorry but I couldn't make it tonight. I was going to bring you a gift but my mom realized I was gone and called me. I had to tell her I wanted coffee at ten in the evening. I left you this note so you wouldn't be worried. I hope you are having a good day!
                                                                                                -Vitani

   Kiara opened the box. It had a small golden ring with a picture of two lionesses engraved on the front. She put the ring on her finger and smiled to herself. She then stood up, pocketed the note, and headed inside for a good night's rest.