9

The next morning, everyone was packing their bedrolls and their bags, wanting to get to the airport early so they could be in the air before noon, you hugged your dad tightly, "Be careful, kiddo

The next morning, everyone was packing their bedrolls and their bags, wanting to get to the airport early so they could be in the air before noon, you hugged your dad tightly, "Be careful, kiddo. You call and check in with everyone every time you stop."

You chuckled and nodded, rubbing your dad's back before pulling away, "Who do ya take me for? Of course I'll be careful."

You picked up your helmet and held it under the crook of your arm, "I'll split it, six hours of driving a day for five days."

He nodded, accepting that and digging in his pocket, "Your grandpa wanted your mom to give you this when you finally got patched in... but-"

"Let's not talk about her." You told him, "Let's talk about my new present."

He laughed and rolled his eyes at you, pulling out your grandpa's First 9 patch, "He talked to Clay about before he died, he wanted you to wear it in his stead."

You gently took the stiff, worn patch from him and smiled as you looked at it. He died when you were so young, there was so little you could remember of him, but what you did remember is that he loved you. Having you as a granddaughter made him die a proud man, all of his grandkids made him proud, but you were always his favorite. To him, your eyes promised that things were going to go back to the way they should be: Jax, Opie, and you were gonna rock the nation when you grew up. You looked over at Clay now, "Is it really alright?"

He chuckled and cupped your face in his swollen hands, "I promised your granddaddy a lot of things when it came to you, kiddo. And, believe it or not, I don't think I'm gonna need to cash in on those promises much longer, you have half of him in your soul."

You rolled your eyes, "Spare me the sob-fest, Uncle Clay. I'm just me, and I've always been the me that knows the old man loved me."

He smiled at you gently, wrapping an arm around you in a brief hug, "I'm gonna send a companion with ya."

You rolled your eyes again, "Think I need a protector?"

"No." He shook his head, "Just a road dog to keep ya company."

"Do I get to pick?"

"No." He answered, "Because with all the time you've been spending with him, you're going to be pretty happy with my choice."

Clay glanced over at Juice and chuckled deeply, running his fingers through his grey hair. He watched you grin mischievously at him, "Maybe I wanted to hang out with my bestie."

You nodded in Jax's direction, then Opie's, making everyone chuckle at you.

You were a gremlin of fucking chaos.

...

After filling your tanks, Juice came out of the gas station with beef jerky and water, "Think we should stop for the night? This seems like a quiet enough town to sleep and get on the road early."