Chapter 13 - It's A Trap!

The sun is low in the sky as dusk takes hold of National City. At the The Heights rec center citizens of the surrounding neighborhoods are beginning to gather inside for the Town Hall meeting, but the heightened police and DEO presence in the area has not gone unnoticed by the steady stream of visitors making their way in. News of the abductions of Councilman Jarrett and Mack Davis has made its way to the public which has resulted in a nervous tension in the air.

Standing outside the rec center, Kara, in her Supergirl attire, is keeping a watchful eye on the area and greeting attendees as they make their way inside. As she finishes talking to an older gentleman and his wife she notices a familiar face making their way towards her.

"Councilman Davis," Kara stirkes her peacock pose and greets the man in a respectful, offical tone.

He looks at her with an inquisitive grin. "Supergirl?!? Any particular reason we're being so formal?"

An infectious smile spreads across her face as she says, "Because I just love calling you 'Councilman Davis' Orlando. Come here." She opens her arms and motions him in for a hug.

Orlando smiles warmly and embraces her. "It wouldn't have been possible without you, Alex, and Kelly."

Kara releases the hug and they each step back from one another as she says, "Believe me... it was all you. We just provided character testimonials to the judge to get your record expunged. After everything you did to rally the community during Lex's and Nyxly's battle these people knew they'd found a natural born leader."

"Well," Orlando remarks, "after the way I felt about the system coming out of prision it's hard to believe I'm part of it now. Trying to affect real change from the inside is daunting to say the least."

Kara puts her hands on his shoulders and looks him in the eyes. "I have every confidence that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. I told you in the beginning I'd stand by you and fight for you. I'll continue to do that as long as you need me in the battle."

"Thank you, Kara," Orlando says. "I know I didn't always make it easy, but you never gave up on me or Joey. We owe you a lot."

Kara shakes her head. "You'll never owe me anything. You and Joey do all the hard work. I'm just here for moral support." She takes her hands off his shoulders and smiles. "How is Joey?"

Orlando smiles proudly. "He's good. I was going to bring him tonight, but after the abuductions I decided to leave him with a neighbor." Orlando's expression gets serious as he asks, "So what's going on? I assume you, Alex, Dreamer, and Brainy wouldn't be here if this was just a simple kidnapping."

Kara takes Orlando by the arm and leads him away from the crowd making their way in. "We believe Jarrett and Davis were abducted to draw us out to the meeting tonight."

Orlando looks perplexed. "Why?"

Kara responds, "It's kind of complicated. The short version is I have an obsessed fan that happens to have the same powers I do and wants to kill Lena."

"I still don't see how that relates to Jarrett and Davis," Orlando remarks.

"What do you know about Jarrett's and Davis' interest in this housing development project?", Kara asks.

A contemptuous look fills Orlando's face. "I know that Jarrett has been fighting us tooth-and-nail trying to derail this project. I think he's taking money under the table from Davis and an anonymous real estate firm to try to buy the votes they need to swing rezoning their way."

Kara nods. "We're working on an article about that at CatCo. One of my reporters has been trying get a contact at City Hall to go on the record and my fan found out. Not sure what they have planned for Jarrett and Davis, but we're certain they grabbed them to get us here."