Chapter 14 - The Conversation

Kara stands in the hallway outside of the DEO medbay looking in at Dana laying unconscious on a treatment bed with a red sun emitter shining down on her. Kara's thoughts wander back to the events of the past few days and to her own struggles over the years navigating a life both blessed and cursed by the amazing gifts Earth's yellow sun endows her with. As she continues to stare through the medbay window wall her thoughts are interrupted by the warm sensation of lips pressing against the back of her neck and arms wrapping around her waist.

"Penny for your thoughts, beautiful," Lena whispers softly in her ear.

Kara closes her eyes, places her hands on top of Lena's interwinded fingers at her waist, and sighs. "Just thinking back on everything that's happened the last few days. That poor girl came here chasing her dreams and a few poor choices have changed the course of her life forever."

Lena squeezes her tightly. "We both know from personal experience that bad choices are not absolutely damning. We've made our share of them over the years and thanks to the resolve and compassion of the people that care for us most we've navigated the repercussions and made a better life for ourselves. You did everything you could the last several days to make sure she has the opportunity to turn this around."

"It's going to be so hard," Kara says as she opens her eyes. "Even though we're trying to shield her from being identified in all of this she's going to have to face the demons of what she's done and has some difficult choices to make."

Alex and J'onn walk up next to them. Alex chimes in, "We're doing everything we can to make sure the DOD doesn't catch wind of who she really is. Given their obsession right now with their perception of Clark's alligences, or lack thereof, I shudder to think what they might do if they discover Dana's effectively become the prototype of what they've been trying to Frankenstein over there."

J'onn nods in agreement. "Even though her physiology is effectively Kryptonian now I can still sense her thoughts and she's terrified. She never wanted these powers permanently. She just wanted to know the feeling of being like you for a moment, Kara."

Lena lets go of Kara so she can turn around to face everyone. "So, what does the DOD know?", Kara asks.

Alex replies, "We decided to feed them your's and Lena's alternate theory of a previously unknown rogue Kryptonian that survived Krypton's destruction. Brainy embellished the story by adding she had been in cryosleep which slowed her maturation."

J'onn interjects, "We briefed the President about what really happened. They've blessed the cover story, so the DOD should be appeased. As long as they believe this to be an alien matter it's our jurisdiction and they won't touch it."

"Fingers crossed no one involved can ID her," Lena comments.

"Thankfully," Alex says, "she went to great lengths to hide her face while she was out helping people the other night. Agents have spoken to everyone she assisted and none of them could provide a solid description. Most of them just remember the exaggerated House of El crest."

J'onn adds, "NCPD has confirmed that the muggers and robbers she apprehended couldn't ID her, either."

Kara asks, "What about Jarrett, Davis, and their driver?"

J'onn replies, "I've taken the liberty of altering Jarrett's and Davis' memories slightly. They couldn't ID her, but I felt it prudent to wipe their minds of any memory of their abductor. They can recall bits and pieces, but they believe the blows they each took to their heads caused minor memory impairment. As for the driver, he was so scared by the whole experience that he didn't have any recollection about the assailant. I scanned his mind and there was no trace of her."