Hard Goodbyes (Chapter 18)

Connor's aunt finally arrived, and I ran over to Alexis' motionless body. Sitting down on my knees, I covered my mouth with my hand, letting out a whine seeing the huge blood mark on her shirt. Shaking her a bit, tears streamed down my face. "Alexis? Please wake up. You're not dead. You can't be. Please...you're my best friend! I can't lose you.." I whined inbetween, my voice breaking a few times. I knew she was dead, and that she wasn't going to come back, but at the same time, I hoped that maybe she could be brought back around like in movies with happy endings. But this wasn't a movie. And she wasn't coming back. Taking in deep breaths, I broke down. Shaking as I sobbed, and rested my head on my dead friend's chest. Blocking out Connor's screams in pain as his aunt healed him behind me.

I flinched to the touch of hand on my shoulder, and turned my head seeing Connor. Standing up, I threw myself into him, digging my face into his chest as tears streamed down my face faster and faster. He rubbed my back, moving his hands in larger circles, resting his head atop of mine. "Shhh, Grace." he whispered softly. "It's all my fault Connor! I shouldn't have left...it's all my fault my best friend is dead! And now that monster is still on the loose!" 

"Grace, it's not your fault." he said, lifting my chin up, wiping the tears off my face. I looked at his arm, seeing it was all wrapped up in tight bandages, as well as his neck. His shirt was taken off and used to press down on his wounds for pressure. Then another bandage wrapped around his chest and shoulders, so it would cover up his back. It was more like he had just came out of a boxing match. "And you almost died too! It's all my fault that Alexis is dead, and you almost died."

* a week later *

Everyone was dress in black. And the rain was pouring down. We all stood under umbrellas, and Connor held the one we were sharing as he kept his arm around me. We had said that she had gotten attacked by a drunken man while coming home from a party, which I disagreed with completely and wanted to go with something much simpler like a car accident, but then it would be obvious that the way she was murdered was a lie. Her mother was mess, and covered her mouth with a small piece of fabric, and her father was also a mess. I've never seen him cry before. 

Now, we got to the part where everyone dropped in something into the six foot hole, where she was now, in her beautiful white casket which was covered with flowers. Taking off my necklace, which had a small heart on it, and inside was a picture of both Alexis and I. She had the same one. I bent down dropping it in the whole, mumbling under my breathe "Bye best friend..me, you and Venessa will all be together again. The day The Three Musketeers will be reunited, on the other side." and got up walking back to Connor, tears running down my cheeks as he hugged me tightly. I didn't want to be here. I forced myself to come, cause she was my best friend. How could I not come. Looking up, I met eyes with Austin, who was giving Connor the dirtiest look I've ever seen. Like he was about to pounce at Connor and rip his throat out. Poor Austin hadn't said a word the entire time. Just stood there silently, saying his final goodbye to his beloved girlfriend. 

"Gracie." I heard, and turned around to see Alexis' petite mother. Hugging her, we both cried on each other's shoulders. Pulling away, she handed me a black and white victorian patterened scrapbook with the words 'Best Friends Forver' written at the top in a sequenced silver, with a picture of me and Alexis from when we were younger in the middle. "She made this for you. It's all pictures of you two and crafts you had down together from the day you met, until the end of last year. She wanted to give it to you when you girls graduated." I grabbed the book from her, with a small smile and looked up at her mom. "I'm so sorry for your loss, you really lost such an amazing daughter." I said, and we both said our goodbyes and I watched as her mom walked away. Meeting up with Connor, he hugged me again, and I rested my head on his shoulder. "You're mom went to get the car with you're sister." he said, and kept my underneath the umbrella, as I rubbed my finger over the book.