Memories (Chapter 20)

The light barely escaped through the dark curtains, leaving the room dark. I rose my head from Connor's chest, as it slowly rose then fell back down. His strong arms were tightly wrapped around me, and his hair was sticking up in several in several places. Getting up, I was careful not to wake him up, and opened up the door walking out. I looked at a few pictures on the little table between the doors to his aunt's bedroom and his. Picking up a frame, with a picture of Connor from when he was younger, I smiled. He always had that cheeky smile, huge dimples, and emerald green eyes.

I walked into the ktichen, opening up the fridge and took out bacon and eggs, setting them on the small counter behind me. Above the counter, the pans were hanging on a small rack. Grabbing one of the pans, I set it on the stove turning it on, and waited for to heat up a bit. When it had finished, I cracked opening two eggs, putting them on the pan. Grabbing another pan, I set that one on the stove, putting the bacon on it.

"Morning babe." Connor mumbled, his morning voice barely even clear, and very raspy. "Somebody's tired." I said, scrunching up my nose and shut the stove off, finishing cooking. Grabbing a plate, I served the food on it and handed it to Connor, kissing me softly. 

"You didn't make any for yourself?" he asked with a frown, taking a bite from one of the eggs. 

I shook my head, sitting down on his lap. "I'm not hungry." I replied, pushing my hair back. "Besides, it's not like there isn't any other food." 

"But breakfast is your favorite meal..." Connor mumbled, looking into my eyes.

I shrugged, and kissed him softly. Hearing a knock on the door, I flinched pulling away. Getting up, I pushed my hair behind my ear as Connor got up answering the door. Sitting down on the couch, I grabbed a small brown leathered photo album from the coffee table, and opened it up seeing it was full of baby pictures of Connor when he was younger with his parents. I turned to one of his father and mother. His mom was gorgeous. Beautiful curly blonde hair and caramel brown eyes. And such a beautiful smile and pearly white teeth. She seemed almost photoshopped. Then his father was a handsome man, with a light beard, and dark hair. Connor looked like him. His family seemed so happy. The type of families you'd see in movies. He walked back into the room, wrapping his arms around my neck, kissing my cheek softly from behind.

"Whatcha looking at?" he asked.

"This photo album..Connor your mom was absolutely gorgeous." I replied, flipping the picture to one of a baby photo of Connor sleeping, and couldn't help but let out a soft aw.

"It's weird seeing those...I haven't looked at them in a long time." he mumbled, sitting next to me.

"It must be and who was a the door?" 

"Mailman."

"Ahh. Kind of figured."

I turned the page again, to one of Connor and his mom. Connor was hysterically laughing, and his mother had a huge smile on her face. "You guys seemed so happy." I muttered.

"I miss them....Grace. Can we please put these away?" he said getting up and walked off. I bit my lip, closing the book and set it back on the coffee table, walking up to him. I walked up to him, softly rubbing his back. "Connor?" I said. He looked at me, his eyes red and small tears were hanging from his eyelashes, and there were small tear trails down his cheeks. 

"I know. It's hard saying goodbye to someone you love.." I gulped, and closed my eyes at the thought of my best friend who died more than three weeks ago. "But sometimes it's best to leave the past behind you..even though they're dead..they still live in your heart and memory. That's why it's best to look at those pictures. So you can laugh at the funny memories. Smile at the happy ones. Then cry for the sad ones." I said, wiping one of his tears. Hugging him, I rested my head on his chest hearing the soft beating of his heart.

Connor's POV

"Mummy!" I yelled as I lept into her arms as she returned from work. "My little Connor! How was school today?" her accent was so clear and thick, and smile so big. "It was fun! Daddy picked me up today." I replied, as my father came walking up behind me with a laugh, greeting his wife. "Dinner's ready guys." he said, picking me up as the two of them walked to the kicthen. Being placed in my seat, I giggled holding the knife and fork in my hand as I awaited my food.

My mother walked past me, ruffling my then straight hair, then sat down next to me. My father served the table, and a car slam caught or attention. My father growled, and looked over to me and my mother. "Quick! Hide." he said. My mother looked over at me, getting up and picked me up carrying me into the bedroom, running. Putting me in the closet, she whispered softly "Stay still. Don't scream or cry." and tears stung in her eyes. I was confused, and scared as she shut the door, locking it from the inside. Hearing a gunshot, I looked through the small key hole. My father was dead. 

Men slammed through the door, grabbing my mother by my arms pinning her down. She looked towards the door, and tears streamed down her beautiful face. Another man walked into the room. He was balding, and held a knife wrapped up in a piece of cloth. Unfolding it, he stood in front of my mother with a smirk. The man stuck the knife up her chest, and pulled it out ending her life as she dropped to the floor. I was sobbing quietly so they couldn't fine me.

"Find the boy." one of the them said, as they began searching the room. Looking up, I spotted a small window at the top of the closet, and began stacking boxes and chairs. Climbing up them quickly, I opened up the window and jumped up..running as fast as my little legs could take me, until I reached the neighbors house.

By the time the cops had arrived, the men were already gone. Flashing red and blue lights were everywhere, and light snow fell to the ground. I stood next to my neighbor, a clever old woman, as I watched my dead parents being carried away on stretchers, covered in white sheets. I was to be sent of to America to live with my aunt in New Jersey...

The flashback ended, and I wrapped my arms around Grace, resting my head on hers. She was right...but that memory just stuck in my head, and would keep on replaying everytime I thought of my parents. 

I misssed them.

Missed them so much.

If only I could turn back time...see them one more time.