Chapter 7

I got dressed as slowly as I could so that Sarah can change her mind on carpooling with me. I heard the door shut and muffled voices. I wonder what they are talking about.

I went to the top of the stairs making sure they both couldn't see me and listened to what they were saying. I couldn't really tell what they were saying, but I understood enough.

They were talking about me. I listened more carefully holding my breath so I can hear clearer.

"Please Sarah, Ari needs friends. I will pay you however much you want. Just please be her friend. Make her smile. God! I haven't seen her smile in ages." I knew it was my aunt talking.

Was I hearing correctly? She said pay to make me smile? I was so upset I hadn't realize I ran downstairs and into the kitchen.

"How could you?" I screamed at my aunt. She looked absolutely horrified.
"How dare you try to pay her to be friends with me!" I screamed even louder. Tears were already coming down my cheeks. "How dare you!!" I kept saying.

Then I turned to Sarah.

"Would you have taken the money?" I asked through clenched teeth.

She stumbled with her words.

"I-I uhh Ari, I wouldn't take the money." She said wringing her hands together. Just by her doing that I knew she was lying.

I looked to my aunt who had her face in her hands. Her shoulders were slowly moving up and down.

Wait? Why was she crying? I wiped the tears from my cheeks and sat down at the dining table wondering why she was the one crying.

"Why would you do that?" I ask out loud. My aunt looks up and wipes her eyes with the back of her hand.

"I think you should go to your session now." She says not looking at me.

I look at her coldly and ignore Sarah asking me if she still wants to carpool.

What the heck is wrong with her? After what just happened, she expects me to sit in small space together with Sarah for 20 minutes? I don't think so.