Summer

Chapter Five: Age 14 Summer

"Hey boys, we couldn't swing three rooms, so Noah you're with your mom, and Jamie, you're with us."

Kelly sounded truly apologetic as they checked into the hotel. It was in downtown, close to Chinatown, close to the Embarcadero, on the bus line for just about anywhere in the city. Noah had always been a transportation geek so he was in charge of what buses they needed. Seemed outrageous to try and drive their car since parking was so difficult.

"No worries, mom," Jamie nodded, hefting the duffle bag strap over his shoulder and grabbing Noah's backpack.

He wasn't disappointed, he was relieved. Being around Noah these last few days after the dance was ... sad.. bad... weird ... disappointing. Pick an adjective. Jamie could still feel the kiss on his lips, could still hear Noah laughing as he listed off Ava's criteria for a good date. Things Noah had pointedly accomplished to help Jamie feel good. Not because he wanted to, but because he was .. a good friend. Not wanting his loser gay best friend to feel like a loser gay loner at the stupid idiotic lame ass dance.

So, Jamie was thrilled to not add the discomfort of trying to sleep next to Noah after having the rug pulled out from underneath him on graduation. Because since then, he's spent hour after hour laying in his bed, looking at the ceiling, replaying the kiss, replaying the dance, how Noah had felt pressed up against him, his hands on Jamie's lower back, holding him close. .. how Noah had smelled. He'd smelled so good. He'd tried to keep Noah at a distance since then, but after an 8 hour car drive sitting side by side, and a week long vacation together, he realized that wasn't going to work. He just needed to get over himself.

Noah was his friend. His best friend.

Nothing more.

Speaking of, Noah came up beside him. He was carrying Jamie's backpack and his own rolling suitcase. Switching it to the other side, to free up his hand, Noah put his arm around Jamie's waist and together they walked towards the elevator, his fingers squeezing just a little.

"We're going to have the best time," Noah whispered, pointing with his chin to the amazing cityscape just beyond the hotel window.

Jamie sighed, and tried to repeat his mantra: Friends, friends, friends.

===

It was. Amazing.

After a quick nap, they walked the neighborhood. Dana grew up in Sacramento, which was a big city to Shasta natives, Danny and Kelly. But San Francisco was on another level. Their first priority was just to get a lay of the land, walking the neighborhood around the hotel. They laughingly allowed themselves the tourist quirk of staring up at all the towering skyscrapers. The pier was like a carnival. Loud musicians, jugglers, hordes of people. People selling jewelry at makeshift tents. Scores upon scores of homeless people shuffling behind overloaded shopping carts, or sleeping on every available green space. Huge cement installations with fountains swarmed by skaters, gaudy restaurant signs, corner stores with shelf after shelf of vegetables and fruits, all displayed in the outdoor air.

Jamie couldn't figure out where to look next. He knew he must look like an idiot, but it was all so overwhelming. Not in a bad way; there was something exciting about the tumult and chaos. Noah walked hand in hand with him, chill as always, taking it all in, pointing out new things he knew Jamie would love. The gigantic and loud mouthed sea lions. A man dressed and painted all in silver.

Dana insisted they walk through the Ferry building, lined with local shops. She and Kelly parked themselves in front of an artisanal cheese monger. Dana couldn't stop asking questions. Her latest murder mystery revolved around cheese of all things, it being the significant clue to the killer's identity. She took picture after picture. Kelly happily stood with her friend, enjoying seeing Dana so animated and excited.