New Faces

Chapter Thirteen: Age 17 Junior Year  New Faces

The gym was loud. Like roaring loud. Jamie wasn't sure exactly how he felt about it. There was thrum in the crowd that was never present before this year. It wasn't rocket science to know mostly why. As he looked around him, it was obvious.

Before the fire there were maybe 300 kids at their high school. When they held school spirit days like this, stupid activities meant to boost everyone's morale, build community and break up the monotony of classwork, it was fine. Whatever. No big deal.

But since the high school in Yreka was destroyed by the fire, and all 300 of their students were now crammed here, literally doubling their school overnight, it was bound to be noisier.

It was more than just the added bodies though. The fire put everyone on edge, made everyone feel that much closer to death, that much less secure, more emotional, more exhausted, more everything. A lot of the kids going to school here now, from up north, had lost everything. They still lived in some shelters as housing was being sorted out. The counselors at the school definitely worked around the clock these days as kids almost shell shocked from trauma were thrust back into school and asked to pick up the reins of their regular lives as if nothing had happened.

It was distinctly odd for the blonde boy too. Sitting in the bleachers, watching the newly reformed basketball team play a pick up scrimmage, students cheering them on, remembering that just a few weeks ago, this entire room was covered in blankets and people, their home away from home. It was surreal.

"Ok," Jamie nudged the boys on either side of him. "Let's get started. I need your eyes. Help me find someone hot, not too stupid, sweet and devoted. It's time to implement plan stop being a lonely gay loser."

"Thanks," Dane said, scowling feeling a little miffed for being called out. The senior continued his single life, never finding anyone in all of high school. Here it was, his last year, and he was still alone.

"Not you! ME!" Jamie reminded him, scanning the crowd. "I told you, I need a boyfriend. It's important. Come on, there's so many new guys. I'm sure we can find someone."

"WHAT!!?????" Harrison's voice, as always, on screech mode. "Are you crazy Jamie??? You already have a boyfriend!!!!! NOAH. IS. YOUR. BOYFRIEND!"

Three years. Three years and Jamie still insisted on being in denial. Harrison was so over it. Plan C? Nope. Being subtle and letting Noah and Jamie figure things out on their own? Nope.

From the court, Joey paused in the middle of the game, earning some boos from the crowd. He immediately found Harrison, checking in to see if the hysteria he heard was his boyfriend's normal, garden variety scream or if he needed help.

Harrison grinned, seeing him. "Love you baby!!!!" He blew Joey a kiss, who nodded, relieved, and got back into the game. Normally he wouldn't even flinch when he heard Harrison screaming, but these days, after the fire, he was more careful, more protective.

"Asshole. Making us all jealous with your perfect relationship," Jamie grumbled, trying not to let jealousy engulf him at the sight of his friend's never ending happiness. "It's my turn, I said. Help me find someone. I want a hot jock too."

Harrison rolled his eyes and refrained from slapping Jamie. "YOU. HAVE. A. HOT. JOCK. WHO. IS. HEAD. OVER. HEELS. IN. LOVE. WITH. YOU!!!!!"

Jamie's eyes found Noah, who at that moment was looking directly at him. The brown haired boy kissed his bracelet and waved. Jamie kissed his bracelet too, waving back, sighing with contentment and happiness.