Chapter 3

When we pulled into the dimly lit parking garage outside, I could see the line that was wrapped around the building. There was at least forty to 50 people already waiting to be let inside. The bar across the street was also bustling. Mina gave me a look that said we were definitely going there after the show. I rolled my eyes at her ready to object but she smiled at me hopeful.

"Maybe." I said to her. We waited in the line until it was our turn in. Mina pulled out two tickets from her pocket and handed them to the bouncer. He nodded and waved us inside. The dark room was painted a deep red and black with posters lining the walls. There was a mini bar set up to our far left where people were crowding around. Mina tugged my jacket and turned to the bar.

"Want something?" she asked.

"Sure."

I followed her to the counter and eyed the small menu of drinks. Most were just different types of beers and vodka mixes. I ordered a beer for myself while Mina grabbed 2 shot glasses in front of her.

"Oh so we are drinking." I made sure to enunciate the word drinking. I was never much of a vodka girl, I preferred lighter drinks. Vodka was always a sure track to a headache the next morning. I remembered the last time Mina and I drank; it was her birthday and we decided to go out for drinks after work one night. We ended up so wasted that we called out of work for three days straight. I was certain that I had alcohol poisoning. We laugh about it now though. I took the glass from her and sighed.

"Cheers!" She shouted.

"Cheers."

We gulped them down and went back to the main floor. The lights were starting to dim. A hazy fog wrapped around the ceiling of the venue and snaked around everyone's heads. I looked up and followed the trail. I was half expecting to see someone just lighting a cigarette or joint but I saw him. At the entrance stood a tall man with long dreads that caressed his left eye. They were pinned half up. His scarlet red coat shimmered in the dimly lit room. The lights seemed to dance right off of him. His movements were so graceful, it was as if he were gliding instead of walking. People parted out of his way. A few eyes followed him, as did mine. He went straight to the bar and grabbed a shot, throwing it back gracefully. I looked away just as he found my gaze across the room. It didn't matter though and I knew it. He had already seen me. I tried really hard not to look back but temptation got the better of me. I looked behind Mina and I and he was now leaning against the bar, staring directly at me. My cheeks burned red. I cocked my head back ready to get Mina's attention. His sly smile diminished. He was now staring at me with a blank stare, his eyes had changed. An overwhelming sensation washed over me. I was frozen in place. My body wouldn't move, I couldn't even turn to face the band as they started playing. The man smiled again as though pleased with himself. Did he know the effect he had on me currently? I felt my body beginning to tremble. Mina tapped me on the shoulder.

"What are you doing? Band is over here." She laughed.

"Sorry, I thought I saw someone." I said finally able to move.

I tried to focus on the stage. The few grunge bands that played were great, no doubt about it but my mind was racing now. Just who is this guy and why do I keep seeing him? A small part of me was fearful. I had no idea what this guy was about. All I could feel was that he had bad news all over him, but I was intrigued. I knew I was dumb for even toying with the idea of wanting to approach this guy. After the second band said there parting words there was a small intermission before the final band came on. Mina pointed back to the bar.

"Want another drink before they come on?"

I glanced over to the bar. The guy was now gone. There were so many people that trying to pick him out in the crowd would be hard, even if he was beautiful. There was no sign of him anywhere.