Chapter 6

Mina awoke the next morning and shot up, heart racing. She had a panicked look on her face.

"Relax, we're off today." I said. I knew the look on her face when she was running late. She sighed in relief and sat back down. She grabbed her pillow and stuffed it in her lap as she leaned against the arm of the couch.

"What are you doing up so early?" She asked.

My thoughts immediately started racing wildly again. I would sound crazy, had I said what I THOUGHT I saw last night. I figured it was best to keep my mouth shut, on the off chance that maybe I was going crazy and imagined him basically dissolving into thin air. Either that or I was extremely tired.

"Weird dream I guess." I said.

"Yeah I had a dream too. Your neighbors were drunkenly arguing. I don't remember much more after that. Lots of shouting though."

"Yeah, weirdly enough, I had the same dream." I said trying to joke.

"Liar." Mina said smirking at me. She tossed the pillow in my direction but missed.

"Dreaming about my neighbor?" I teased.

"You started it!" She pointed at me.

I put my hands up in defeat. We lazily sat around my living room until the sun began to set, after that we made dinner and Mina headed home. I walked over to the couch and folded the blankets that were messily strewn across the floor. A light rainfall began tapping across the windows. I walked over to watch as the rain fell. The sky grew dark, and thunder gently roared in the distance. I smiled and sat down at the kitchen table. Dante emerged from his house. He was in a hurry, rushing Rupert out the house. Rupert held a black umbrella over the Dante's towering frame. His chest was peeking from behind the long oversized white unbuttoned shirt. The collar was loosely folded down revealing his beautiful and long neck. A single chained earring shined from his ear. He pointed at Rupert and then to the car. Rupert bowed and walked to the car and got inside. Dante watched as he pulled out the driveway and down the road, disappearing around the corner. He stood on his porch gazing at the sky. He closed his eyes and tilted his head up. He was beautiful as usual. He cupped a hand over his mouth slowly and ran his fingers down his face. He was either extremely stressed or taking in the rain, I couldn't determine which. I continued to watch fixated as he stepped back inside his house, slamming the door behind him.

That night I decided to light a warm fire and sprawl across my couch. The house was a lot colder than normal, and the light storm was perfect for the occasion. I was almost giddy when I heard the thunder roaring overhead. Seconds later a light knock sounded at my door. I squinted my brow. Maybe it was Mina? She definitely would have texted me first though, or so I thought. I peered through the peephole on my door. There was no one there. I scratched my head in confusion. I figured maybe the storm was causing me to hear noises, but then it happened again. I jumped. Someone was now banging on the front door. I saw no one. I was officially losing my mind I thought. I walked away from the door after double checking I locked it first. I grabbed my tea from the counter and walked back towards the living room. As I went to sit down, the lights cut out suddenly, leaving me in the dark with a dimly lit fire that was dying off. I sat there with my heart in my throat as I quietly placed my cup down. Glass shattered upstairs and I fought the urge to scream. Then there was silence. I cupped my hands over my mouth as I made my way towards the kitchen to hide behind the counter. My breathing was heavy. Creaking in the floorboards above me let me know that I was not alone anymore. How the hell did someone get to the upstairs windows? If this was a break in, wouldn't someone just come from downstairs? Movement outside caught my attention; it was Dante. I was in a panic and needed help, I figured I would try and flag him down. I tried to quietly move closer to the window and peeled the curtains back all the way. My floor creaked underneath me. I heard footsteps move above me towards the hallway. I waved my hands frantically but no avail. Of course, at a time I want to be noticed, it doesn't happen for me. I clenched my jaw and fought back tears when I heard the footsteps move to the stairs. The fire that was once lit, had diminished, leaving me in the pitch dark. The only thing I could think of was making a run for it out the front door and next door. I had left my phone back on the couch and there was no possible way I was getting it without getting seen or caught before then. The footsteps became quicker as they moved down the steps. I took a deep breath and ran for the door, almost crashing into a side table on the way out. I yelled for help as I crossed the front yard, I could hear whoever was following me stop once I made it off the porch. Dante's eyes widened as I stumbled into him. He gripped me firmly and held me stable as I tried to catch my breath.